Treating wood with incense resin

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CONGER

Established Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me about treating wood with incense resin?

I am intesested in details on which resis in best suited, how the resin is prepared, how it is applied, and what properties the treated wood surface will have.

TIA -gerard-

conger(@)gmx.net

CONGER":13gw45hj said:
Can someone tell me about treating wood with incense resin?

I am intesested in details on which resis in best suited, how the resin is prepared, how it is applied, and what properties the treated wood surface will have.

Were did you get the notion from?

BugBear

Hmm Bugbear... well, I stumbled across this when reading about how musical instruments were / are 'finished'.

Other interesting finishes are ground bernstein, and of course propolis. These, and MANY more materials for finishing, are available just around the corner here in Munich ( http://kremer-pigmente.de/ -- for those who are prepared to resurrect their german).

Recently I was able to get hold of several KG of incense in / from Ethiopia for a very reasonable price... hence the question.

I have a friend-of-a-friend who has just finished an apprenticeship as a violin builder, and another friend who is attending the 'München: Technische Universität - Lehrstuhl für Restaurierung, Kunsttechnologie und Konservierungswissenschaft' (Tech. University Munich, department for restoration, art-technology, and conservation science)... these may be able to help me... but it is 'holiday season'... and both are away ;-((

Still... this universal forum may also be able to produce some 'wrinkles'... ??

-g-

450px-IncenseWikiVers.jpg

Many of the resins mentioned on the Kremer site are used by violin makers to make varnishes and polishes.
The vast majority of the varnishes violin makers use fall into one of two categories, they are alcohol based or oil based.
Alcohol based varnishes are simply resins solved in a alcohol, to make a varnish. The more traditional type of varnish used by the classical Italian makers of the late 16th, 17th and early 18th century are pretty universally considered to be oil based varnishes and these are made by melting resins at high temperatures and then mixing them with drying oils such as linseed oil to make the varnish.
My understanding is that incense is any organic material that makes a nice smell when burnt, possibly some of the materials traditionally used to make violin varnishes might be possible to use as incense, but I don’t think it goes that you can use any incense resin to make a varnish....
neil

Latest posts

Back