treating spalted beech

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rod4409

Reaction score
Hi, advice needed, can anyone tell me if there is anything i can do to treat spalted beech which has gone spongy and soft in places.
I was given a large piece of spalted beech and looking forward to turning a great looking bowl. I am reluctant to throw it away so any advice would be appreciated.
thanks Terry

Hi Terry, welcome to the forum, can you give us an idea of the size and percentage of the piece that is soft.

There are proprietary treatments for soft wood, but in the main for turning Cellulose Sanding Sealer well soaked in stiffens it up considerably.

A very effective alternate is low viscosity CA Glue, but this can become expensive if large volumes are involved.

Depends how far gone it is - if it's a small area,then possibly low-viscosity superglue (cyanoacrylate)
If slightly soft over a larger area,then a coat or two of sanding sealer should stiffen the wood fibres to be able to cut them.
Or I have read of people soaking the whole piece in melamine lacquer (thinned 50:50 with appropriate solvent) and leaving it to dry before turning.

P.s. - welcome to the forum :D

Andrew

Edit - Chas types quicker :( :wink:

Just seen Andrew's suggestion and I too have used sander sealer on spalted beech to good effect.
The trick is to "rough" turn it first - but when I say rough, it's got to be done with a light touch to prevent a big lump of material coming out. I then brushed sander sealer on before finishing.
It was brilliantly successful and if I knew how to post photos on the forum I'd show you a picture!
Well - I can't be expected to be too computer literate at my age of 142!!

Hi chas, Andrew
Thanks for getting back so quickly, the percentage of the soft wood is approximately 10% throughout the whole piece, which is approx 16" x 7".
I will brush in a few coats of sanding sealer and hope for the best.
Thank for the advice.
Terry
PS great forum

search some of the knife forums (or google) for wood stabilising techniques using a vacuum to force polyurethane into timber

Latest posts

Back