Track saw. Do I need one?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tadge

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, i see many people using track saws. Am I misssing something and do i need one?

I have a good size workshop and have large CNC machine and table saw. Most work is in the workshop. Large sheets are cut on CNC to be fair.

Do I need a track saw? What would i use it for? I know i may jave answered my own question but interested if others are in same situation?
Cheers
Ian

Ha yep need and want....just wondering if it will do something my other tools won't. I can't see it but everyone seems to have one. Was looking at triton one for full kit £190

I guess Ian it would depend if you do any site work as you seem to have most bases covered in the workshop. For me a track saw really comes into its own on site where it makes chip free cuts particularly on mfc & painted sheet material.

I think baring in mind you have a table saw, you would possibly just use it for taking boards down to dimensions you can handle on your tablesaw. You could probably do that with a straight edge and a circular saw, or even just a handsaw.

Probably don't need one, but do you want one? lol

I don't "need" one but my cheapo parkside is one of the best tool purchases I have ever made.

Same here. Upgraded mine with a 48 tooth Triton blade and replaced the very thin rubber splinter guard on the tracks with a much thicker strip, according to the advice from Peter Millard in this video. He's got a playlist of videos on tracksaws, not just the Parkside one, so if you're umming and arring, check that out.

Been using mine the last few days and it has made flawless cuts. I've been cutting pieces for a shelf unit. I had an 8 x 4 sheet cut down into three smaller pieces at the lumber yard, but to cut out the individual parts the track saw has been brilliant. Way better than faffing around with a circular saw.

You don`t need one but once you have one you will like it.
I wanted one for a while but struggled on without, then I got a job that justified it, so bought one (ts55) . It paid for itself quite quickly.

A useful option is a hkc55 or maffel kss because it can be used as a normal circular saw or on the rail, best of both.

Ollie

Do you need one probably not. Do you want one and you can afford it with disposable cash then buy one we have all got tools we want but dont need.
I also have the cheap Parkside one and like it but without any problems I managed for years without one.

@Pallet Fancier
I did a few upgrades for mine too.
I bought a Trend blade which is a massive upgrade on the stock blade (though to be fair, the stock blade wasn't bad) and gives me perfect cuts in MFC (my main use of the saw). I also used a christmas offer to treat myself to a Festool 1.4m rail which is the one I use the most often now because the length is just perfect for so many jobs.

@Pallet Fancier
I did a few upgrades for mine too.
I bought a Trend blade which is a massive upgrade on the stock blade (though to be fair, the stock blade wasn't bad) and gives me perfect cuts in MFC (my main use of the saw). I also used a christmas offer to treat myself to a Festool 1.4m rail which is the one I use the most often now because the length is just perfect for so many jobs.
So triton is compatible with festool? Makita? Cheers

Strange the triton is 2 x 700mm track. A full 1.2 at least would be more useful i think. So buy the triton kit or just saw and longer rail?

I would say that if you have a large CNC machine and it can cut sheet goods quickly then your answer is no. Likewise if you have a large workshop and a large industrial tablesaw then no. I looked into tracksaws and came to the conclusion that they are ideal for site work, small workshops without space for larger tablesaws and more importantly you work mostly in sheet goods, ply, weetabix and Mdf. I only have a small table saw and not much space, don't use a huge amount of sheet goods and when I do I just get them precut close to size and then finish on table saw. If I need to cut full sheets or ones too large for table saw I have a length of angle iron that I clamp down and just run my Bosch saw along it and that works great.

If you want to compare tracksaws then here is some info Track Saw

I'm a Tracksaw convert. I bought a Triton and an Evolution Tracksaw Rail Kit and it is working very well as a starter pack. The Triton works very well but check and adjust for square before using. The only downside I've found is the anti-kickback means you can't easily slide the saw back, so if you do an anti-splinter kerf cut followed by a full cut I need to lift the saw off the track and re-position (if anyone knows how to fix this I'd be grateful). The Evolution kit is good value but the rail doesn't stick to plywood very well so you do need the clamps that come with it and these are fiddly so I'm going to order quick lever clamps from Banggood this week. Be aware though, buying a tracksaw is the thin edge of a potentially expensive wedge as you get sucked into the world of MFT tables and associated accessories such as Benchdogs!

The only track rail that may be problematic is Makita as it has a unique anti-tip lip on the rail which is incompatible with non-Makita tracksaws. Watch Peter Millard's 10 Minute Workshop videos on YouTube, these are excellent as he shows you the differences and how to build home made jigs to avoid buying expensive Festool MFT ones.

Strange the triton is 2 x 700mm track. A full 1.2 at least would be more useful i think. So buy the triton kit or just saw and longer rail?
This is why I didn't buy the Triton rails. The Evolution Rail Kit has 2 x 1.4m rails, so you use one for cross cutting full sheets and two for a full rip

A second hand Festool TS55 won’t lose a great deal in value over a few years so if you want to try one and find it sat on a shelf gathering dust you will be able to move it on. May cost you 10% over a few years

Latest posts

Back