Toy Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fortyfourpm

Reaction score
Thought I would post a project I'm starting on. This is my first woodworking project so I'm sure many mistakes will happen along the way.

This is a rough plan of what I am hoping to build. It will be roughly 1m x 1/2m x 1/2m.
Capture.jpg

I started with some Oak cladding for the panels
P1020334.jpg

and cut them down to the size I need
P1020339.jpg

Hopefully will get more done this weekend.

Can anyone recommend a good way to finish this? As the title says, it's a toy box so will need to be child safe. I want something hard wearing with a gloss finish.

I would suggest polyurethane varnish but others on this forum may have other suggestions.

If you want a high gloss finish you will need several coats, thinning the first with white spirit. A fine sanding between coats. Each coat will build up to a better gloss.

You can get water based but I have found that you don't get quite the same finish as with oil based which is, unfortunately, a lot more smelly.

How are you going to make the frame work to hold all that cladding?

regards

Brian

brianhabby":1fzhi8hu said:
I would suggest polyurethane varnish but others on this forum may have other suggestions.

If you want a high gloss finish you will need several coats, thinning the first with white spirit. A fine sanding between coats. Each coat will build up to a better gloss.

You can get water based but I have found that you don't get quite the same finish as with oil based which is, unfortunately, a lot more smelly.

How are you going to make the frame work to hold all that cladding?

regards

Brian

I will be using ash for the framework. Joints will use mortise and tenons and a groove for the panels to sit in.

Orcamesh":1fzhi8hu said:
I suggest water based acrylic lacquer, suitable for children's stuff and very hard wearing...
http://www.axminster.co.uk/chestnut-chestnut-acrylic-lacquer-prod19769/
It's easy to apply with a foam brush.
Can apply wax at the end if desired.
First coat should be sanding sealer, made by Chestnut too. Watered down before applying.
HTH
Steve

Thanks Steve. How does the water based compare with the oil based, as my understanding is the oil based products last longer and give a better overall finish?

fortyfourpm":11afqo2k said:
Orcamesh":11afqo2k said:
I suggest water based acrylic lacquer, suitable for children's stuff and very hard wearing...
First coat should be sanding sealer, made by Chestnut too. Watered down before applying.
HTH
Steve

Thanks Steve. How does the water based compare with the oil based, as my understanding is the oil based products last longer and give a better overall finish?

I am not aware of "oil based" lacquers, only water or melamine. Not being an expert I don't know if "melamine" is the same as "oil based"? The melamine lacquers are for even more resistance to heat and water. See...
http://www.axminster.co.uk/lacquers-varnishes-and-paints-dept553851_pg1/

But from what I have lacquered with the water based lacquers so far, this is a tough finish. The overall finish on my recent display cabinet was excellent.

First attempt at chiselling out mortises. It was recommended to me that I tapered them at the end slighly to move it away from the edge.

P1020350.jpg

P1020349.jpg

P1020341.jpg

Orcamesh":34hpygoz said:
fortyfourpm":34hpygoz said:
Orcamesh":34hpygoz said:
HTH
Steve

I am not aware of "oil based" lacquers, only water or melamine. Not being an expert I don't know if "melamine" is the same as "oil based"? The melamine lacquers are for even more resistance to heat and water. See...
http://www.axminster.co.uk/lacquers-varnishes-and-paints-dept553851_pg1/

But from what I have lacquered with the water based lacquers so far, this is a tough finish. The overall finish on my recent display cabinet was excellent.

Small update. I decided to cheat a bit and took the easy way out. I went to my dad's workshop to machine the tenons and clean up the mortices with some power tools which made very light work of it.
Just some finishing to do with the chisel to get them to fit but much better than the fitted doing it by hand, and also a lot easier :)

P1020430.jpg

P1020429.jpg

And a picture of my little helper who this box will be for.

P1020431.jpg

More progress today. After finishing the sides, I moved on to the next pieces to make up the corner:

P1020454.jpg

The frame complete - dry fitted together:

P1020455.jpg

And Layla making sure it's correct:

P1020460.jpg

I've made more progress today. Fitted the panels inside. These needed a bit of trimming at the ends
P1020499.jpg

Then dry fitted.
P1020502.jpg

Finally glued and clamped
P1020503.jpg

Well I got the frame fully assembled - as usual dry fit went fine, and then when it comes to glueing nothing fitted!?! Anyway, after a bit of brute force and ignorance I got it as it should be and clamped it up. This was the day after the last post, but didn't take any pictures (or they were deleted off the camera). The only place to clamp this up, get it varnished etc in doors was on my computer desk hence no updates from me for a bit. After 4 coats of varnish on all sides this is how it is currently looking.

P1020509.jpg

andersonec":2zf7407h said:
If you are still going to put a lid on it could I suggest a pair of these lid soft close stays, save little fingers from getting squished.

http://www.sugatsune.co.uk/s.nl/sc.8/category.64554/.f

Andy

Hi, yes I will be putting a lid on it. Due to british weather, it may be a while before I get round to that due to doing all my work outside. I am planning to use soft closers so will save this link for when I am ready to get them. Thanks.

Well, it's been a while since I last updated. Been slowly working on the joints for the lid. Got them finished up last weekend and then had to order a strap to clamp it up so got that done today.

Here is me and Layla finishing off the joints last week:

IMG_0335_zpsf21a5444.jpg

And one of it in situ clamped up waiting for the glue to set:

P1030010_zps20752b3b.jpg

Well, a bit late with update, but only just got round to buying some handles for it, so can finally call it finished. The lid has been on and in use for a while now. I let my daughter pick the handles, as it is her box at the end of the day - typically, my wife doesn't like them :roll:

Back