Toy box with a difference?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been meaning to make this for sometime but have never got around to it.

Its essentially a toychest that has a large drawer instead of a lifting lid. I've always thought that lifting lids are a bad idea in that they come crashing down and that you have to clear anything from the top to open it.

Made from cherry and the drawer is olive ash and cedar. Dimensions are 750mm x 500mm x 450mm (lxdxh).

toyboxcrop2Small.JPG

leftviewdraweropencropSmall.JPG

draweropencropSmall.JPG

cornercropdetail.JPG

skirtingdtdetail.JPG

cornerSmall.JPG

toychestendonSmall.JPG

The reason I finally made it:

Its off to auction tomorrow to hopefully raise some money for the Elizabeth Foundation which helps profoundly deaf children (one of our good friends'' children has benefitted immensely from this charity and they are throwing a fund raising ball). So its gladrags all round and hopefully not despairing too much when the idea proves to be a bad one and no one bids!

Cheers

Tim

Lovely work, Tim =D> =D>

Hope you raise plenty of money - it's a very good cause. My (now deceased) eldest brother was deaf and I know that deaf people can have a very difficult time.

Good luck

Paul

Tim, this is a really nice chest. Just my style.
I like cherry too and you finished it really well. You also appear to have use only the best contruction method which will make this a piece to stay in some lucky family for very long.

Well done and best of luck on raising plenty of money :D
Fair play to you.

Tim, that is lovely!
Good luck at the auction. An excellent cause.
Come to think of it, you won't need luck. Anyone with any sense will join the queue.

Cheers.

SF

Tim,

Nice one, the box looks great. Is the routered edge around the top done with one router bit or a combination of different bits?

Mark

Thanks guys.

I'm really nervous about what it will get - not fishing for compliments but just natural I suppose - a pretty public way of determining if your stuff is worth anything!

All I do know is that I have already had a private bid (that exceeds my reserve) so its definitely sold and woin't be coming home with us (and our hangovers) tomorrow. :p

Waka/ JFC - I'm really pleased with the dovetails on the skirting too - its the first time I've done that but I found it much easier than cutting perfect mitres (even with a good chopsaw).

Como - the profile was cut with one bit - one of the Tornado cutters from Rutlands - can't remember which one, I bought about 5 of them in the last sale. I'll go out to the workshop and look later - although I don't think they mark the cutter itself with a code or identifier. edit: having looked on the web, its either TR205 or TR206.

CYC - I did build it as a 'proper' piece of furniture. It would be great if it became someone's heirloom.

Just in case you were wondering the reserve was only put on in case it didn't even reach the cost of materials so that I could have the opportunity to sell it elsewhere and donate the money that way.

Cheers

Tim

That's lovely Tim! I'm sure it'll do well in the auction. Best o' luck

Well it raised £750.

If I'm honest I'm a little disappointed esp when I analyse the time/ materials taken. I normally don't make things on spec so its a bit of a rude shock but its done some good and I enjoyed making and donating it.

The ball raised 60 grand in the end - I'm still a bit worse for it (the boozy sunday lunch seemed such a good idea at the time).

Out of interest, (and certainly not fishing) do people think its a fair figure?

Cheers

Tim

tim":1pwlfa8d said:
Well it raised £750.

Out of interest, (and certainly not fishing) do people think its a fair figure?

Well, I don't know about 'fair', but assuming your aren't a well known woodworker, I would suspect it is a 'fair market value', particularly if the audience is not especially keen on handcrafted woodworking items. I'd bet more then a few though "I seen one just like that at X for 200 quid". The market is a cruel cruel place, and not especially fair.

tim":371cuidd said:
Well it raised £750.

If I'm honest I'm a little disappointed esp when I analyse the time/ materials taken. I normally don't make things on spec so its a bit of a rude shock but its done some good and I enjoyed making and donating it.

Given that Joe Public buys most of his furniture from IKEA and his idea of craftsmanship is what he sees on television programmes such as 'Changing Rooms', I doubt that many people have any idea what true craftsmanship costs in time, skill and materials. Most of those at the auction probably thought: "Well, it's only a box" :?

Unfortunately, that is the reality and I can understand your disappointment.

But the money went to a good cause - that's the main thing.

Paul

Back