Total newbie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Mckie

Reaction score
Hi there I'm Chris from South Shields in the North East. Decided to take up wood working as I am USELESS at practical stuff and wanted to stretch myself. Have so far carved a moose, made a scabbard for a sword and built a medieval castle door 😁.
Have just acquired a lathe and a band saw so expect to lose fingers soon........

Castle door. Love to see that. Any pics ?

The only really dangerous bit of kit in the hobbyists arsenal is the chop or slide mitre saw. Unless of course you get a table saw or surface planer/finger eater.
But Im sure you'll be fine. Its just a matter of diligence and staying focused on the job at hand(pun) :)

Fortunately, a lathe is probably the safest power tool in a woodshop--the wood turns and the blade is stationary... mostly. Of course, there is always the possibility of jamming your fingers between the tool rest and wood, not that I speak from experience.

Castle door. Love to see that. Any pics ?

The only really dangerous bit of kit in the hobbyists arsenal is the chop or slide mitre saw. Unless of course you get a table saw or surface planer/finger eater.
But Im sure you'll be fine. Its just a matter of diligence and staying focused on the job at hand(pun) :)
This the door Triton, and the moose

Attachments

• 1690396141377.jpg
    1690396141377.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 1690396141381.jpg
    1690396141381.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 0
Castle door--wow--that deserves a few more photos and explanation.
Literally just planks sanded, sealed and stained and then the cross braces screwed on. The 'nails' are thin cut squares of pine shaped with a sander and hammered to look like iron. They were painted black and dry brushed silver to look metallic. The strap hinges were painted the same but cut from a thin sheet of aluminum with a jewellers saw.
Bought the lock and the handles separately

Fortunately, a lathe is probably the safest power tool in a woodshop--the wood turns and the blade is stationary... mostly. Of course, there is always the possibility of jamming your fingers between the tool rest and wood, not that I speak from experience.
Don't forget the 101mph missiles that hair you in the face 🤪 I can promise you that hurts, a friend told me 😶

Back