Torx or square head stainless steel screws?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woden

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a UK supplier for stainless screws with either of these types of heads? I'd settle for square heads but am really after torx. Took a look at the Spax stainless screws offered by Axminster and Screwfix but these only seem to come with the pozidrive heads.

I've been trying to use pozi headed stainless screws for attaching planks to cold moulded white oak frames in a yacht but the resistance - even with pilot holes - is so great that I've been caming out and mushing up the screw head.

Stainless steel seems supprisingly soft/brittle.

Stainless is brittle especially the A4 that is required for marine use. Really you should pull the planks in with clamps and then fix. I presume you cold moulded the frames yourself? What are the planks made of and what are their dimensions?

A little lubricant works wonders, window fitters use a dab of silicone sealant, which should be fine with stainless screws.

Alan

Woden,
try these guy's

Bee-Fast Fasteners Ltd
Unit 3 / Cressex Business Complex
Lancaster Road
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire HP12 3PY
Telephone:
01494 451227
Fax:
01494 436270

They have great service and are extremely helpfull.

Jock

Hi woden - try Kreg - they offer SS and square head and as a bonus they are also self tapping.

Should be easily available - my local stockist always has them in.

They also have a new 'blue kote' weather resistant screw which from what you have posted may be a superior option? Check on the Kreg US website for full info.

The ones I have used have been spot on.

Check out this link for retailers; http://www.brimarc.com/home.php3?page=r ... lter=C_132

Hope this helps

Best regards

Thanks for all the info, guys. That warehouse direct link looks very promising - I see their stainless screws have the segment removed from the tip to give a cutting edge.

Staffie, do Bee-Fast do the stainless screws in torx or square head, or maybe they do both?

Yeah, my experience of stainless so far is that it is brittle but also comparatively soft. I presume this is because, although a harder metal than mild steel, stainless is softer than the hardened steel used in regular screws. Is that about right or is there something else I don't know about?

Still, they're tougher than the silicone bronze screws favoured by some boat builders: the latter are so soft they're like butter!

woden":34lvagou said:
Thanks for all the info, guys. That warehouse direct link looks very promising - I see their stainless screws have the segment removed from the tip to give a cutting edge.

Yes, be careful with those, they are extremely sharp, I have had numerous punctures from those screws by reaching for a handful without thinking, bet they do the job!

V.

Back