Tormek and Jet sharpening jigs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark_h

Established Member
Reaction score
I treated myself to a Tormek T7 for Christmas and have been thinking about what jigs I will add over the next few months. From looking through the forum it seems that Tormek and Jet jigs are interchangable between each others machines. Does anyone have experience of this and the quality of the Jet jigs (as they appear to be considerably cheaper than the Tormek ones)?

The plane iron / chisel jig supplied with the machine is very good and produces square edges with ease, so I am inclined to stick with Tormek.

Thanks

Mark

Although I don't own any of the machines you mention I do own the Sheppach tiger 2500 and this does take the Tormek jigs along with it's own of course. I have been happy with my machine but it does take a little getting used to when sharpening wide chisels or blades as you end up with water everywhere. Still a good system IMHO. :wink:

Tromek tend to be cast sections whereas the cheaper ones are often pressed steeel. Only ever used the Tormek and think the quality is worth the extra money

I have a Tormek planer knife jig which is surplus to requirements PM me if you are interested.

jon

Thanks for the offer, but I have just bought one of the planer knife jigs using Axminsters 10% discount (s**s law or what!!). I'm now looking to get one of the adjustable flat tables and one of the gouge sharpeners.

I have also been trawling about on the web and found that all the jigs from Tormek, Jet and Scheppach are interchangable.

Mark

Please could I clarify this matter. It is not correct that all of these are interchangeable. Please make certain before purchasing.

Martin

I've had a Tormek for severial years now...great piece of kit. The standard plane/chisel jig is pretty mandatory and I have the planer jig as well...very good but fiddly to use. The most essential thing though is to get one of the diamond thingie jigs for truing the stone from time to time. Without it it's a bit of a 'no hoper' to grind anything accurately. It also removes the build up of glaze on the surface of the stone so grinding takes a lot less time - Rob

Martin,

Are you able to elaborate as to which jigs are not interchangable? My reason for starting this thread was to try an make certain of compatability before I buy.

Thanks

Mark

I bought the Tormek mainly for sharpening turning gouges and the jig makes it really easy to get consistant profiles and you end up removing very little metal. I also have the one for roughing gouges, worth getting if you use them as well

The flat table is good for scrapers etc

Jason

mark_h":3u93lawp said:
Martin,

Are you able to elaborate as to which jigs are not interchangable? My reason for starting this thread was to try an make certain of compatability before I buy.

Thanks

Mark

Scheppach Planer knife jig is NOT directly compatible but is easily modified

and IMHO is worth the the trouble of converting -( I posted a while ago about the process of adapting it)

I own the Jet Sharpener. I have several Tormek jigs. The Planer / Jointer jig does not fit the Jet. The post spacing differs by a couple of millimeters. The new style Tormek truing tool is designed to engage the tool rest post closest to the grind stone. The Jet machine is wider making the distance between the tool rest post and the grind stone greater so it doesn't engage the post. You can use the truing tool but you need to make sure that it is tightened sufficiently on the tool rest or it could be pulled into the grind stone damaging its surface. All the other Tormek jigs that I have purchased work well.

I use both (at different locations, though)
The newer standard chisel/plane iron jig on the Tormek is in a different league (as, somehow, is water capture,) but I wouldn't splash on other Tormek jigs if I didn't have them already. They're better made and functionally a bit slicker, but the alternatives work adequately well in my limited exp.

I had a play with the tormek T7 with all the bits n bobs at the Ligna Bohemia expo in CZ today and was well impressed with it, cost in CZ is 14,148Kc for T-7 alone.

tony

Back