Top tip

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filsgreen

Established Member
Reaction score
Good morning all.

With winter upon us I thought I would post this tip for all of us who use the garage as a workshop instead of what it's supposed to be used for :) .

If you park outside in winter, mix 3 parts vinegar to 1 part water and spray it on your car windows in the evening to prevent frost and ice from forming.

Credit for this tip is to this lady on an American website.
http://www.homeenvy.com/db/6/436.html

Phil

Isn't vinegar basically acetic acid? I just wonder if you spray on a 3:1 solution every evening during the winter, whether that will have an adverse effect on the rubber around the windows and other parts such as paintwork.

Why not just get up 5 minutes earlier and warm up the car :? :? :lol: Much better than all that scraping and faffing about, I reckon :wink:

Cheers

Paul

Paul Chapman":1o2tgujv said:
Isn't vinegar basically acetic acid? I just wonder if you spray on a 3:1 solution every evening during the winter, whether that will have an adverse effect on the rubber around the windows and other parts such as paintwork.

Why not just get up 5 minutes earlier and warm up the car :? :? :lol: Much better than all that scraping and faffing about, I reckon :wink:

Cheers

Paul

IIRC vinegar is only about 5% acetic acid. If you dilute it 3:1 it would only then be 1.25%. Probably less damaging to rubber or paintwork than all the salt on the roads this time of year. For that matter, probably less damaging than the alcohol in washer fluid :-k

Brad

To add to the tips. When I rode bikes. In the winter I used to rub the inside of my visor with washing up liquid to prevent misting up. I haven't tried it on the car windscreen yet. But it should work.

wrightclan":18hla5hf said:
IIRC vinegar is only about 5% acetic acid. If you dilute it 3:1 it would only then be 1.25%. Probably less damaging to rubber or paintwork than all the salt on the roads this time of year. For that matter, probably less damaging than the alcohol in washer fluid :-k

I used quite a lot of acetic acid in my photographic days. It's used at fairly high dilutions as a stop bath between developing and fixing films and papers. Based on my experience of the effect it can have on surfaces with prolonged use, I would simply caution what you use it on. People are welcome to try it but I think there are better and safer ways of dealing with ice on windscreens :wink:

Cheers

Paul

Back