Toothing plane with metal base

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim_H

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just been given my first toothing plane, blade by Aaron Hildick, body by G P Preston & sons of Sheffield, it has a metal base plate. Looking forward to cleaning it up and using it.

Is the base plate likely to be a later attachment?

Will post a picture if anyone interested.

Metal bases (cast with a shallow rim) were listed in tool catalogues alongside other plane parts. I've also seen simpler adaptations where an owner has fixed on a piece of steel or brass, using woodscrews up into the sole.

So it could be original or a later mod. How neatly fitted is it?

BTW, you probably know that GP Preston was a general tool dealer, unconnected to the Birmingham maker Edward Preston.

Thank you, I had done a brief search on t'internet when I got the plane yesterday, I had found another example of Aaron Hildick' s blades, also a toothing blade by coincidence. I came across E. Preston but the Birmingham versus Sheffield locations were a good pointer to them not being related. I had not realised one was a maker and the other a dealer, so appreciate that information.

The problem with wooden planes is that I am finding it hard to stop them multiplying in my workshop, they are just really nice objects,and have character and history that my power tools, whilst very useful, just do not possess. Having said that I am quite fond of my little "free" Burgess bandsaw, which is as old as me but better looked after!

I will take some photos and post asap.

I agree with everything you say, except your use of the word 'problem'!

IMG_20140623_191620.jpg

IMG_20140623_191431.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20140623_191620.jpg
    IMG_20140623_191620.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 666
  • IMG_20140623_191431.jpg
    IMG_20140623_191431.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 666
Andy hopefully we can agree on increasing storage concerns with side issues of fettling. :D

Latest posts

Back