Toolstation MDF Primer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTiddles

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Toolstation's own brand of MDF sealer/primer it's £12.47 for 2.5 litres which sounds a good price. It's water based and can be used with water or solvent based topcoats, anyone?

Aidan

i have used it but i did not like it
i use B&Q value matt emulsion with a little PVA glue mixed in
works great
its nice and thick and dries quick and only takes one coat and then sand with 240grit and its very smooth and ready for the next coat
i have used this loads and never had any problems

I'd second that, Pinky.

White matt emulsion. Dries chalky and sands down like plaster. Covers better than the purpose made MDF Pirmer, IMO.

It seems to make the 'fluff' more brittle so it breaks off instead of
re-fluffificating...

.... what? It's a word! :oops: :lol:

Bryn :D

pren":1e57lw6i said:
I'd second that, Pinky.

White matt emulsion. Dries chalky and sands down like plaster. Covers better than the purpose made MDF Pirmer, IMO.

It seems to make the 'fluff' more brittle so it breaks off instead of
re-fluffificating...

.... what? It's a word! :oops: :lol:

Bryn :D

Ah yes that would be the Concise Welsh dictionary of English wouldn't it? :lol:

I've used their MDF Primer and I thought it was okay. If you want a good (clear) sealer though, Rustins' do a good water-based one.

watered down pva worked for me last time. Then dulux trade undercoat followed by 2 eggshell top coats.

It depends on the finish you want. Eggshell is a tough wearing finish which has a slight texture to it. Gloss will be smooth and shiny.

I use Dulux Trade Eggshell and always Oil based.

This seems like a good place to ask.... How much Rustin's MDF sealer should one buy in order to cover three or four 1600x600 boards of MDF? I've never worked with the stuff before so have no idea how much is needed!

Cheers, Mike.

Right, my aim this weekend is to make a sizeable dent in the mammoth task that is making my first workbench! :) Does anyone out there have any idea on the above? (Apols for the bump)

I wouldn't be against this option if I was going to paint over it but I want to keep the MDF looking a bit like MDF... :) Apparently 1ltr of Rustins covers about 12sq metres. On paper it sounds like it's enough. Hmmm, only time will tell...

Unlikely some of the original posters are around but what would anybody suggest the emulsion and PVA mix ratio? A dollop per litre or.............

TIA.

When I rang Dulux Tech Dept to ask what to prime MDF with they said just dilute the emulsion with water. I mentioned PVA and they said don't use it?

studders":3sazgkjc said:
When I rang Dulux Tech Dept to ask what to prime MDF with they said just dilute the emulsion with water. I mentioned PVA and they said don't use it?
I've had the same response from Dulux regarding PVA as a sealer. They are adamant (not 80's popstar! :wink: ) that PVA is incompatable with thier paints. Doesn't seem to trouble people who do not know this! Why do you want to use sealer on your work bench?

I've been using the Toolstation Acrylic Primer today, and I thought it was pretty good for the money. Been spraying it onto MRMDF, thinning to a 30sec consistency.
Sprayed it, flashed it off with a hairdryer, scuffed back (it sands well when dry) then recoated.
It doesn't obliterate like more expensive 2K products but it doesn't stink (I still wear a mask), it levels out nicelt and it's CHEAP!

Adam.

Latest posts

Back