Tools For Self Reliance

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custard

Established Member
Reaction score
A year or so back someone on the forum mentioned a charity called "Tools For Self Reliance". I took special notice because, even though they have branches all over the country, their main branch isn't far from me in Southampton.

They run training courses in basic practical skills in some of Africa's poorest countries, and when their students finish they are given a tool kit that sets them up as a carpenter, joiner, shoemaker, bricklayer, dressmaker, plumber, mechanic, etc.

They look for decent quality tools relevant to all these areas, both hand tools and good quality 240v power tools. What's needed is refurbished or packed straight into trade specific tool kits, what's not appropriate is sold on Ebay to raise the shipping costs. It takes about £160 for each cubic metre of container space, those containers are then shipped from Southampton direct to Malawi, Zambia, Ghana, and the other destinations where they run their skills training programmes.

After reading the original article it occurred to me that I have plenty of local tradesmen dropping by my workshop to ask a small favour like running something through the thicknesser or doing a bit of vac bag veneer work. I decided that in future any favours will require a donation of unused tools. Over the past year a tea chest in the workshop slowly filled up with trowels, planes, spanners, sash cramps, hammers, chisels, and lots more besides. Here's just a portion of what was accumulated,
TFSR-01.jpg

Recently I took it all down to Tools For Self Reliance and learnt first hand about their work,
TFSR-02.jpg

What a smashing bunch they are, enthusiastic volunteers who are making a real difference.

So if you've got anything cluttering up your workshop get in touch with Tools For Self Reliance, and put your unwanted tools into the hands of people who really need them,

https://www.tfsr.org

PS, right at the moment they're particularly short of 18mm spark plug spanners!

Attachments

• TFSR-01.jpg
    TFSR-01.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 255
  • TFSR-02.jpg
    TFSR-02.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 255
I've used Tools for self reliance, but to buy tools that aren't wanted in Africa. Every year they are at the Bodgers Ball with a collection of old hand tools that are of more interest to the likes of us than to the rural African tradesman ! Bought gouges and chisels, Arkansas slipstone set, even a small anvil. And the money goes to a good cause.

That's really brilliant of you Custard, very impressed,bless and thanks for putting the word out! I've seen examples of some incredible carvings that some carvers make, and also woodworking using very basic tools and even home made.

I read on their web site. " We also have a network of volunteer collectors across the country who can collect donations – to find out if there is a collector in your area, please contact us."
They don't accept all tools to send but others they can sale at car boot etc.
I'll have a rummage and see if a collector in my area. Always happy to help projects like this.

They sell things on eBay as well, they had a Stanley No1 that had attracted a few low ball bids from people, they didn’t know it was a No1 so hadn’t described it as such.
I told them and they pulled it and thanked me, I believe they sell the good stuff through Tony Murland.

Pete

Nice one Custard =D>

My father in law helps out at one in Christchurch. A very good little charity with many giving there spare time to sharpen and sort the tools provided.

I have volunteered with Tools for Self Reliance for over thirty years, it may have been a post from me that you originally spotted Custard. I am now working with my local group Ilkley Tools for Africa, they meet at my workshop every fortnight to refurbish tools and send them to Workaid a similar organisation to TFSR. If anyone in the Leeds/Bradford area has unwanted tools we would be happy to collect or recieve them and if anyone wants to get involved in refurbishing you would be most welcome. It can be a good way of learning new skills. I learnt to sharpen saws through TFSR.

Chris

Back