Tool Storage...how do u hang yours?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
weird question but ...here goes

Chisel..do u just cut groove in shelf and hang them?
Plane...On the blade\ base or on the side?
Saw..just a nail and hang on handle ?

Steve

Chisels - I find the most secure way is to drill custom sized holes for each one in a narrow shelf, then connect those holes by cutting slots to the front edge. But to fit more in, two narrow boards with a gap between work well.
Planes go on deep shelves, tails out. Put a thin batten along the back to keep cutting edges off the shelf.
Saws - I recommend a thick dowel at an angle - this will hold 8 or more large handsaws.

im not a pro and do far less woodwork that you lot but i keep may planes under my bench and as andy said about the use of a batton i have a scrap bit of square wood under the toe so they don't damage bench and to keep air circulation i guess, then again my work shop is in my lounge :( (misses isn't happy believe me)..
chisels in a roll in a draw and saws under bench also (limited space) every inch counts :)

one day ill have a real workshop and have a set up like lie Nielsen in his youtube vids

TT

Chisels, as Andy suggests, between two thin boards glues together with spacers, chisele sit in the gap, flexable and easy.

Saws in a saw till, resting on their handles, blade up but protected, backsaws hang in the same till.

Planes, I made a similar storage sloution to that found in Lie Nielsen videos, looks good and easy to grab what I need.

I learn something every day. I had never heard of saw till but now I know what it is, I have to make one.

Anybody got any spare saws?

I must confess I had to search the internet for "Saw Till" too. I came across a great thread on this very forum from 2010 from a chap known as Alf and his project to build one.

Before going too far down the route of making open racks, it may be worth considering the environment in which the tools are stored. If it's a nice, dry, warm workshop, open racking wil be fine. If it's a cold, damp shed or garage, open racking will only accelerate corrosion; in this case, storage in closed boxes may be a better option. This recent thread discussed the matter a little - plane-socks-t73701.html

My chisels used to live in a rack on the back of the bench, and the planes sat on a shelf underneath. I used to hang my saws in a till...

But as of late I've been working out of a tool chest...

I think I prefer working from the chest, the tools I use the most are all in the same place and they are protected from rust, dust etc

If it's horizontal it gets stuff laid on it and if it's vertical a screw goes in and stuff just gets hung from it.

I tried order...shelves....boxes...cabinets and it just seems to wander off and sits on horizontal and hangs on vertical....etc...

:mrgreen:

I once started out with good intensions....

DSC_0165.JPG

It didn't really catch on.... :oops:

Jimi

I am truly impressed at the most excellent way in which some store their often expensive and good quality tools, the love of a fine tool and the care a craftsperson has for their tools is really refreshing in today's instant gratification and throw away society.

With personal concerns for my tools and the British weather, I realised that as my tools are in a non heated workshop they would be subject to the problems of considerable temperature and humidity problems. Living in a river valley it has just exasperated the problems which cause condensation and damp damage. So with this in mind I built a solar heating system to keep my tools dry and at a fairly constant temperature. I separately run a small photovoltaic powered battery (which has its own venting system to prevent any possible fumes entering the workshop) which in turn runs a small fan to keep the air in the workshop constantly moving. I had insulated very extensively but that did not solve the problems and I was forced to keep my tools in the house until needed which is far from ideal.

I just love the saw till and shall look into it carefully as at the moment my saws are mounted with a soft nylon blade rest (which I replace about every other year) and a wooden handle insert with a toggle to hold it in place.

Chisels I do as some on here do and have them in individual slots with the finer sizes also held in place using a Terry clip on the handle and do the same for my files.

Planes are stored on their sides resting on two and sometimes four nylon tube covered dowels the blades are kept away from the backing board by wood strips covered with nylon strips, I have found the use of nylon covers has prevented damage from potential areas of damp wood contact, which was a problem at one time.

My planes are in one of these ugly white melanine cubboards. I found that during temperature swings the melanine could get very wet, causing rust to the plane bottoms quickly. Now I have added some wooden shelves and everything stays reasonably clean. I don't do extra battens to lift the plane sole from the wood. The planes rest on the edge. Somehow I don't see how a bit of pine would harm the edge. And I can't say it has given troubles.

Chisels are in racks on the wall, the simple variety of two battens with a small block of wood in between. No slots mostly, only for the very narrow chisels which don't want to stay upright on their own.

And for saws, I made a quicky sawtill from some leftover plywood. It's ugly, but it works. It's getting too small though.

So, while I didn't put much thought into my working environment, it still is a lovely place. Mostly because it is a timber shed with a wooden floor, I guess.

Chisels I have a lot in an old cutlery holder from a dishwasher. Otherwise a slot fixed to the wall, the wife thinks it is dangerous. Image here
tool_storage.jpg

Note the cutlery bin bottom right. The planes are all over the place but most of the users are in the till and the (japanese) saws are in the same slots as a lot of the chisels on the back wall (left in the image)

Attachments

• tool_storage.jpg
    tool_storage.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 786
I have storage in cabinets, but the tools that get the most use are always in front of me, some on the wall ...

8_zps2cbbd7a2.jpg

... some in a tool rack behind the bench ...

Accessories6_zps8638aa42.jpg

... and all guarded by a vicious bench dog ...

AWRentrysmall.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

dannykaye":32bld8g1 said:
Chisels I have a lot in an old cutlery holder from a dishwasher. Otherwise a slot fixed to the wall, the wife thinks it is dangerous. Image here
Note the cutlery bin bottom right. The planes are all over the place but most of the users are in the till and the (japanese) saws are in the same slots as a lot of the chisels on the back wall (left in the image)

I make that eight bevel gauges!

Sir, I salute you!

AndyT":198lsdnv said:
dannykaye":198lsdnv said:

I make that eight bevel gauges!

Sir, I salute you!

There might have been a couple on the bench then :)

Back