Tool rest holder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartin

Reaction score
Hello,
Just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction as to where I can find a replacement for a tool rest holder from my Delta Wood Lathe 46-255? It appears to have worn where the tool rest slots in causing it to lean significantly to the left. The lathe is no longer in production, I'm sure if there are any alternatives that would fit?

Many thanks.

YewTube":xamz9yi6 said:
I would check whether your tool rest is not bent as wear on the banjo to give a significant lean sounds a bit unlikely unless I am misunderstanding something.

Good luck,

Bill

Agreed, it does unlikely that a banjo could wear like that?

YewTube":vr9oimd3 said:
I think the Axi http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hobby-series-awvsl1000-woodturning-lathe-501268 is the same lathe and they will have parts.

I would check whether your tool rest is not bent as wear on the banjo to give a significant lean sounds a bit unlikely unless I am misunderstanding something.

Good luck,

Bill

Actually it is the same lathe as the Axminster AWVSL 900 (which seems to be no longer offered by Axminster) and not the AWVSL 1000
They should still be able to supply spares if necessary though. There were several other manufacturers who sold the same lathe including the Jet JWL 1236

I agree with Bill though that it seems unlikely you would get significant wear on the banjo. If it is indeed the rest that is bent then Axminster stock tool rests suitable.

Thanks for the replies folks. I initially thought that the rest would have been bent but after closer inspection and fitting it in reverse, it still leans the same way. It's only when you tighten the bolt to secure the tool rest that you see it shift significantly to the left. I can't see what else it can be other than wear on the holder itself. I've felt around for burrs or debris inside the holder but it seems fine. I'll take some pictures and post them tomorrow, it'll show it better than I can explain.

Thanks for the advice regarding the Axminster AWVSL 900. It does indeed look identical. I'll contact them on Monday to see if they can supply one.

These pictures show the rest separate from and fixed in the holder. I've stuck a piece of wood in the lathe to illustrate how much it leans.

IMG_20160501_133910.jpg

IMG_20160501_133832.jpg

Thanks again folks :]

Attachments

• IMG_20160501_133832.jpg
    IMG_20160501_133832.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 1,537
  • IMG_20160501_133910.jpg
    IMG_20160501_133910.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 1,538
In pic 1 above, there appears to be quite a gap on the right of the banjo socket the tool rest is located in. Is this the case of just a shadow in the photo?

Simon

That's correct. It's a fairly small gap but it's created when the rest is tightened into the holder, pushing the rest into, what I assume is, the worn area. Because it created a lean, I thought it would be something inside creating the angle but it's completely smooth to the touch. I have honestly no idea what sort of use would create a worn area in such a hefty lump of iron :p

Another possibility is that the banjo opening is 1" (25.4mm) & somebody changed the toolrest for one with a 25mm stem. Takes some careful measuring to discern which size is which.
Dial calipers or digital calipers are good for these type of measurements.

There is no doubt that it has a 'significant' lean but difficult to ascribe it to wear. It looks as if someone has tried to modify the banjo to take a larger tool post.

I once had the Perform brand of this lathe and bought mid length tool rest. It came with a 1" (25.4mm) stem and the Perform hole banjo was 25mm.

I spent an hour carefully filing the hard stem to 25mm and as round as I could get it.

It looks as if someone has done the same thing but decided that the banjo is softer and to make the hole bigger and also found out that it is more difficult to file a parallel sided hole.

Suggest you price up a new banjo or getting bored out and fitting a split sleeve.

Bill

That's a good point. I can't imagine a scenario where a lump of iron can wear like that on normal use. However, the lathe came with two correctly sized rests and the extension arm. It's not to say it was always complete but for the inner wall of the holder to have had enough material removed to create a clean slope is a bit baffling. The suggestion that someone has tried to modify it seems the most plausible.

I like the idea of having it bored out, I hadn't considered that. I'm still going to try and get a replacement but I'll look into this option, if it's much cheaper it might be the better route.

Thanks again :]

If you know of anyone witha milling machine then the boring out would be an easy job. A pillar drill might not be rigid enough. Could you get a tool rest with a larger diameter shank and bors out to suit that? A split sleeve might be a cheaper option, and you can buy sheets of brass etc packs, with thickness 2 thou, 4, 6, 8, 10 and 15 thou for about £12 (search shim sheets on ebay).

K

Back