Tool hire is a licence to print money!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 for Doorframe's point - 6 x 3 is MILES easier - you can do it one-manned - and remember to screw the pippers in with a cordless drill, not nail them!!
(Sorry if that's teaching the ole egg-sucking trick)
Greg

Never had any luck with hire shops... everything I've hired hasn't worked or has been useless for the job we hired it for... despite being given advice before hiring.. by them

gregmcateer":26cg1it2 said:
- and remember to screw the pippers in with a cordless drill, not nail them!! (Sorry if that's teaching the ole egg-sucking trick) Greg

+1 on the screws as the don't work loose either but I'd add the comments:

1). Use proper drywall screws as they have coarse threads and bugle heads. Worth having anyway as usefull for many other jobs.http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Screws+ ... 90/sd31652).

2).Worth spending a couple of quid on a driver (drywall screw bit) as it prevents the screw going though the paper surface as dimples it for filling (if wished). http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Power+T ... d80/sd2586

Toolstation are cheaper than screwfix but can be bought in many other places. http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;jsess ... all+screws

Bob

I did a couple of ceilings this week with 8x4 sheets, by myself. So I screwed some blocks to the new stud wall slightly low, get the board on top of the blocks hold up in place with 1 hand and put at least 2 screws in each side before letting go. I the middle o0f the room use a batten for a spacer and the another batten to hold the sheet up. Gladly only small ceilings.

However if you read the information on the back of the boards it specifically says should be handled by 2 people, NOT BY YOURSELF, but oh well. 12.5mm 8x4 is 25kg a sheet.

DaveH":32jsi63x said:
I did a couple of ceilings this week with 8x4 sheets, by myself. So I screwed some blocks to the new stud wall slightly low, get the board on top of the blocks hold up in place with 1 hand and put at least 2 screws in each side before letting go. I the middle o0f the room use a batten for a spacer and the another batten to hold the sheet up. Gladly only small ceilings.
I do find that impressive. I hate struggling with these things and lumping 8' * 4' sheets above your head just strikes me as hard work.

Anyone have the number of a resident grunt who would be happy to do such a task for a few pounds ?

I'd buy one, then keep it safe. For awhile, When I was sure I wouldn't need it again, I'd hire it out. Might be the start of a licence to print money.
Or I might offer to sell it to the Hire Company. :lol:

John (hammer)

flanajb":31b50y24 said:
Having just finished insulating my garage ceiling with celotex I now need to plasterboard it. Rather than struggle with sheets I thought I would hire a plasterboard lifter from the local hire shop. They want £44 +VAT a day for hire. A quick ebay search reveals you can buy one for ~ £100!!

Trouble is, once I have used it I will have no further need for it.

HSS £20 a day plus vat, £35 plus for the week.

I hired a scaffold tower for the same job, from my experience i wouldnt use HSS or any of the biggest names. They always give you a price that sounds reasonable but then by the time they have added VAT and a delivery charge of £20 on when you only live 5 minutes away its loads of money. Last time i needed a scaffold tower in the Bristol area i used a company called South West Tower Hire, they sorted me out no fuss at all and it was cheap as chips and free delivery.

I hired a post hole borer at the back end of last year, HSS quote ~£65 one day, shopped around on intenet, got one just as local for approx same money for a week. I'll not bother even looking at HSS when I hire a mini digger later this year.

My local hire shop charges £20 a day or £40 a week for a plasterboard lift. I don't like HSS as they charge over three times more for a cement mixer than the local company.

buy one

i did so too

its so easy to get the boards up , and you have time time time time time time, and no stress to get the board absolutely perfect

I mean no stress at all. i have do it in the past with two and three people, and it is stress

you put it up , tied against the ceiling and then on your leisure screw it in

If you really want to push the boat out, get a screw gun, the one with collated screws

photo by mcluma, on Flickr
if you are done, you just sell it again on ebay

Back