To anyone that has worked on site or in the workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HawkEye

Established Member
Reaction score
I need some help completing some of this theory for my level 3 bench joinery. If you can answer any of these, please do. I would appreciate it.

Explain briefly the action to be taken when

a) electric power fails
b) a workmate recieves a minor cut to a finger
c) a marking out error is discovered on a rod

------------------------------

State

a) the reason for issuing job sheets when allocating work
b) who sends out the job sheets and who recieves them

State

a) Three general factos which an operative should consider when working to ensure quality standards are maintained
b) the actions you would take if a member of the public expressed concern with your operational activities
c) the information that would be required by a site supervisor with regard to the site/location
State two factors that under utilised resources will have a determental effect on
Name Three supplies that could be used to obtain information of local supplies

State

a) the action an operative should take if they are asked by the client to alter the work from the drawing they have been given

b) the document that should be available before changes are made to the original contract
List three items contained on a job sheet
State the document that will indicate the time and duration required for resources
Name the document that should be referred to when planning the start and completion dates for maintenence work
Name the document used to order materials or equiptment from a companies central store
Name three other job related opportunites for which your training would provide a firm foundation
State three key personal abilities required to progress to other building careers in addition to extending experience and qualifications

HawkEye":2sa8t6vo said:

a) electric power fails

a) Close the workshop and go to the pub
b) tell them not to be a big jessie
c) that serves you right for going to the pub earlier

State

a) so the team can remember what they've got to do after you've been to the pub

b) that depends on who is in charge this week and whether the company has gone bankrupt yet.

Sorry to be flippant but mike is right , asking others for help on this kind of thing is dangerously close to cheating on the test.

lol

This is not cheating. This is theory work. I have exams. These are not exams FYI.

Years of working as a theatre tech and before that, a chef rather than what you specify - but the H&S will be thereabouts. I've guessed some of the other stuff as our clients are different from those in construction - however - we have most of the same trades in a large theatre.

a) electric power fails

Assuming all of the power tools are on no-volt switches (as they legally should be) nothing to worry about. If you cable tied the trigger down on something, cut the tie and pocket it in case of further investigation!

H&S demands that emergency lighting be available for safe working/exiting the building (as in the case of fire) for commercial buildings - but this may be relaxed if you are a sole propriator - I'm unsure. In theatres, we all carry a maglite on our belts as it's necessary to "go dark" very frequently when sorting the light DMX.

In kitchens, we always had to kill the gas - check re the heating system but probably irrelevent in this situation.

"Correct" response - refer to designated first-aider for attention.

Reality - wash, plaster, pvc glove/finger cot as necessary.

Optional: Get bag of blood from butcher, place in line with blade on large piece of machinary, turn on, scream, shout and take water mercilessly.

If someone chops off a finger, stick it in milk, tie a tournequet and then an ambulance, if it's bigger, tournequet, ambulance, then glass of milk!

pass - but remark correctly and make clear which the correct marking is I would think.

State

Due diligence

Presumably, the boss, having been checked by the client, gives them to their underlings? I figure this is like our team meetings - allocating responsibility and highlighting a chain of command.

State

a) Three general factos which an operative should consider when working to ensure quality standards are maintained

Make sure your square is square.
Sand through the grades.
Make sure it complies with all necessary legislation (fire retardancy, strength, blah)

b) the actions you would take if a member of the public expressed concern with your operational activities

Listen to them! Maybe they are being idiots, maybe you are being a cowboy, perhaps, after working 18 hrs straight, you forgot to tie a lock knot on your harness.

Don't wolf whistle at women, we have mirrors, we know how we look!

c) the information that would be required by a site supervisor with regard to the site/location

Fire assembly point
Access and restrictions
Name of each person on site, time on site and time leaving
Special circumstances (location of gas pipes, foundations, troublesome roots...I'm guessing at some of this stuff now!)

State two factors that under utilised resources will have a determental effect on

Workforce morale
Timescale slippage

Name Three supplies that could be used to obtain information of local supplies

Yellow Pages
Internet
Site colleagues
Local pub(/taxi driver in London)
failing that, ScrewFix

State

a) the action an operative should take if they are asked by the client to alter the work from the drawing they have been given

Check it will not affect structural integrity. Recost it as necessary and requote in writing.

b) the document that should be available before changes are made to the original contract

pass - and I can't help with the rest either :(

Charlotte":2zerly19 said:
State

Check it will not affect structural integrity. Recost it as necessary and requote in writing.

pass - and I can't help with the rest either :(

I suspect on this one that an operative should refer the request for change higher to the supervisory level that gave him (or her) the drawing and job sheet.

Chances are that a site opperative does not have the authority to requote etc.

Back