Titan sliding mitre saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OM99

Established Member
Reaction score
i know a few of you do like the titan planer thickners, as anyone got experience with theirs 8 inch sliding mitre saw

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb598m ... _container

looks ok to me be that can be deceiving. Would love a bosch one but can't justify the price tag. the others one i was thinking off is either the 8" or 10" lumber jack one sold by toolsave.

thanks

Oli

Check the dewalt dws773 on sale as reworks on ebay - I know its double the price
but it will last and you will be able to get spares for ages.
+ they do make nicer saws

The key to any SCMS is accuracy and repeatability. I've never seen this saw in the flesh but it looks a lot like the cheapo ones they have out in B&Q and I was not impressed with them. If you can get just make sure Screwfix will take it back as there are a few things you can test before you even gut a piece of timber.

1. straight edge across the table to check its all flat
2. Use an engineers square or small combination square to check the blade is at 90 degrees to the table on the vertical
3. Use a speed square of sliding bevel / angle finder to check the blade at 0 and 45 degrees with the slide set at 90
4. Check for slop in the bearings / rails as you slide the head back and fourth - cheap saws often have some play
5. check for any sideways movement when lowering and raising the saw head.

Most sliding mitre saws, even the expensive ones, have play in them. My Dewalt does, as does a higher end Bosch I tried. Maybe Festool money might get you less play.

Good for rough cutting to size and out door stuff like decking. But for finer woodworking you'll probably be making the final cuts in a cross cut sled on a TS. Or maybe squaring up by hand with a shooting board.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

No experience of it, but I have used Titan tools; their big breaker is great, but I'd have reservations of more complex, dependant upon accuracy, such as a mitre saw. Depending upon your requirements and expectations, you may be better off saving for a more expensive saw or buying second hand.

....I guess you get what you pay for. I spent a long time searching for a new Mitre saw. Really fancied the Bosch, but could not really justify the cost. Did not fancy a cheapie, (buy cheap buy twice)?...so ended up looking at a Metabo KGS 254, eventually ordering it when the price dropped to £199 (Amazon)..must admit it seems a pretty good saw for the money, large capacity, fairly "light", and bang on straight out of the box.

..oh..and another thing, I would always go for the larger capacity..I found my old 210mm saw a bit limited...the 254mm is way bigger on depth and length of cut.

I've thought of getting the dws774 (upgrade to dws773) £200, mostly because it has the sliding rail at the front, so it can go right up against a wall.

transatlantic":23xc18fj said:
I've thought of getting the dws774 (upgrade to dws773) £200, mostly because it has the sliding rail at the front, so it can go right up against a wall.

Thats is a very good point i didn't think off, as it would require quite a lot of space in my small garage.

Are the Dewallt and obviously festooll the only one designed that way?

OM99":8uxlyu6v said:
transatlantic":8uxlyu6v said:

Thats is a very good point i didn't think off, as it would require quite a lot of space in my small garage.

Are the Dewallt and obviously festooll the only one designed that way?

I believe there are more, like the Bosch Glide, but none as cheap as the Dewalt (that I know of).

Just be aware that the Dewalts don't cater for Trench cuts due to the way the pars are set - over and under as opposed to side by side. The Bosch and Destool don't have this issue but obviously come at a premium.

Petey83":2y00802g said:
Just be aware that the Dewalts don't cater for Trench cuts due to the way the pars are set - over and under as opposed to side by side. The Bosch and Destool don't have this issue but obviously come at a premium.

Waaaait what? .. that is one of the main reasons for me wanting one. Massive bummer :(

What about used but decent one?
I got a 216mm bosch one that I had for few years that I bought new, but rarely ever used it because well... It's a small Cr.ap and I'm afraid to use it because that thing feels dangerous and not properly engineered.
than I got a great deal on a 305mm used ryobi one, and that thing is such a beast, can cut stuff 11cm thick, is massive, cuts dead on accurate, the model is about 12years old but it's properly made -like a russian tank that will last for another 50years. Put a new blade in it and it's the best Mitre saw I have ever had.. However it's damn huge and weighs around 27kg so it's set to stay at one place.

here's one in auction right now, they usually go for around £50-£60 ( that model was something like £700 when new, mind you that was 10-12years ago when £700 was worth even more than today...)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ryobi-EMS1830 ... Swux5YKNOl
the prices stay so low because no1 knows about them

transatlantic":1qsrqrwk said:

I have the new 774. It is fine. Nothing to get too excited about. You can get most of the slop dialled out of it at the expense of stiffness. The shadowline indicator works well.

You can buy official Dewalt refurbs of these fairly cheap.

It not doing trench cuts is not really a problem, as the mitre saw is not really the tool to be doing that kind of precise joinery with - unless you are doing a rough deck frame or something. It is also a very slow way to cut part way through a piece of wood. A table saw with a cross cut jig will have it done in half the time and twice the accuracy.

I have the Metabo, and I must admit from what I have seen from the picture of the Lumberjack, the Metabo would stil get my vote...it appears to be far more "robust"..(comparing some basic criteria like length of "support tubes" etc...

..like the post above I was really keen on the Dewalt but ruled it out as no trench cut.

..still the Metabo for me ..I shortlisted it from about 8 others that for one reason or another fell by the wayside. The icing on the cake for me was the sudden price drop to £199 on Amazon....

..cake and eat it?....there is a 2nd hand Bosch GCM10SD 240v on ebay at the mo for £100?....(In Stafford)...I am not sure whether I am allowed to post a link, so just in case I wont....no bids yet so it may go for more...I really wanted one of these before I got my Metabo, but couldn't really justify £400+

I've owned one of those cheap saws, similar to the Titan, just under a different brand. They are fine for fire wood and rough cutting but have no real accuracy as they are impossible to calibrate due to poor QC. A straight cut is literally impossible on my version (an evolution). Mitres...forget it, they leave gaps from compound errors that you could drive a bus through.

In the end I plumped for a Bosch GCM8. It's good, very very accurate (with freud blade - stock blade is rubbish) for 0 degree stuff. It's not so accurate on bevel cuts. Mitres are almost there but not quite, although the error is very slight (+/- 0.1 degrees) and can be corrected with a shooting board easily. The laser is pants. Dust extraction is pants.

As with any saw, the nearer you get to capacity the more the movement of the slide begins to tell in the accuracy and it's why a quality saw is essential if you need a high degree of accuracy in your work.

This might sound silly, but if you need the saw for accurate mitres, I'd suggest trying before you buy. Axminster might be able to help.

My new mitre saw will be a kapex, due to the dust collection.

Back