Time to bury the 'red tops'

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
Red tops being the tabloid press. Specifically anything Murdoch (Sun, NoW and others). The phone -hacking allegations have been disturbing up to now, but suddenly a far more sinister case may be emerging. Apart from an alleged perversion of the course of justice, if what is alleged is true, the papers themselves should die. I do not think for one minute that any individual involved in the current management would be putting their hands up if it were not for the exposure they have to face. That makes them as bad as their predecessors who (allegedly) sanctioned such actions.

... and according to the reports this evening on Talk Sport the police are investigating whether the same hacking may have occurred in the case of the Soham murders.

What rock did these people crawl out from under? (assuming it's true)

Roy

Getting messier by the minute. 2 days away from approval of the proposed BSkyB take-over... so bad timing for Rupert.
Respect to Milliband for speaking out first and most forcibly (and I would not be first in the queue for his autograph).
There has to be a question here - at what level in an organisation do you have to rise in order to use the 'I didn't know' defence. The culture of Murdoch's company is, I suspect, one of win no matter the cost. Tony Hayward fell, despite a wide acceptance that he didn't know the details, didn't sanction the actions leading to the spill.
Note there is no sign of the phones of senior News International people being hacked around this time. Imagine the conversation:

well, we can hack their mobile
RM: what are the risks?
it's illegal
RM: can you cover it, arms length?
yes, we use private 3rd parties, 2 levels, way more than arms-length
RM: is the gain bigger than the possible downside?
yes, we get the inside on the major stories
RM: Do it, and delete this conversation. It never happened.

Simple. Murdoch must not be allowed to escape this. Watch it unfold over the next few hours and days.

For the record, I hate him.

very sorry indeed to rant... back to working wood now :)

<Rant>Simple answer. Don't buy the products ! If everyone spent their money in line with their espoused morals/beliefs then all this trash would go to the wall; OK, Hello, the Mail, the NOTW etc...

... and SKY and the plethora of trash TV channels.

Who needs more than 4 TV channels anyway.

Time to put our collective money where our mouths are.
</Rant>

Good Surname or what ?":qrte2xki said:
<Rant>Simple answer. Don't buy the products ! If everyone spent their money in line with their espoused morals/beliefs then all this trash would go to the wall; OK, Hello, the Mail, the NOTW etc...

... and SKY and the plethora of trash TV channels.

Who needs more than 4 TV channels anyway.

Time to put our collective money where our mouths are.
</Rant>
+1
If only people would. Too much apathy in this Country though.

Ford have pulled their adverts from The news of the world, if only the other advertisers/companies would follow suit

mark270981":mg7il7ss said:
Ford have pulled their adverts from The news of the world, if only the other advertisers/companies would follow suit

Gesture only. Ford are still advertising in the Sun, and the NOTW is simply "Sun on Sunday".

BugBear

It stinks. There is no way that the senior editors (" we knew nothing about this") at NoW had no knowledge of bungs of £10k+ going to the police.

One can only hope that as far as Mulcaire (the hacker jailed in 2007) is concerned, that Big Butch Leroy and Biker Bill don't bother too much waiting for him to drop the soap in the shower.

Good Surname or what ?":56ahw8zr said:
<Rant>Simple answer. Don't buy the products ! If everyone spent their money in line with their espoused morals/beliefs then all this trash would go to the wall; OK, Hello, the Mail, the NOTW etc...</Rant> =D> =D> =D>

Take note folks - truthfully - the solution is in your hands and yours alone...bosshogg
If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith. A.E. 8)

I have always been surprised that the NOTW is called a newspaper but I guess they have to cater for all tastes. :twisted:

For anyone who feels that the Murdoch takeover ought to be opposed, it's worth looking either at the Avaaz or 38Degrees websites. They've organised petitions, letters to MPs and to Cameron. All very easy, but in one or two earlier cases, it appears to have been effective.

So Murdoch is closing down the News of the World.... I may be a bit cynical but how long before we see a Sun on Sunday? And does he think this will take attention away from the BskyB takeover?

Boatfixer - is that a Laser 2000?, hard to tell from the small pic. Could be an RS...
This is just the start. Are we to assume the illicit information gained by NoW stopped inside NoW??
I think Murdoch and son have a bit of a problem, and the corporate response today does not make them look very smart at all - because it is shallow and therefore transparent.
Way more to run yet.
In the meantime, here's what Mr Cohen had to say:

Any system you contrive without us will be brought down
We warned you before and nothing that you built has stood
Hear it as you lean over your blueprint
Hear it as you roll up your sleeve
Hear it once again
Any system you contrive without us will be brought down

Laser? RS?.... Wash your mouth out!!! That is the finest Wooden Osprey ever built by John Claridge - Tweaked to within millimeters of measurement rules it's 18' of your finest 1950's muscle boat on the water! ;-)

Anyway I think the Murdoch story will run on for a while yet but I don't think he will be in court any time soon...

Boatfixer":3lzf96rk said:
Anyway I think the Murdoch story will run on for a while yet but I don't think he will be in court any time soon...

Too many politicians, policemen and almost certainly judges in his pocket for it to matter even if he was summoned to appear. And to think we used to worry about the Masons secretly running the country.

Boatfixer":2vphkoqq said:
So Murdoch is closing down the News of the World.... I may be a bit cynical but how long before we see a Sun on Sunday? And does he think this will take attention away from the BskyB takeover?

The Sun on sunday is already in the making according to reports and has been for a while, maybe they knew this was coming out and tried to pre empt it accordingly.

Latest posts

Back