Timber type for wooden studio project?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiteant

Established Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of building a 48 x 16 foot wooden house for a holiday/retreat/studio on a plot of land I own in a remote area.

As there is a high rainfall in Northern GB, I would like your opinion on what timber should be used in the frame construction.

I am thinking of cladding it in James Hardie plank thingys, saw these in Australia and thought them a good idea.
http://www.jameshardieeu.com/index.html

Are there any plans available for such an all wood selfbuild project?

I have used a similar cement based product by eternit click my www button. I used a home made jig with a small angle grinder with aldi diamond blade to cut it and hardwood for corners and window surrounds.
Construction plaster bd.vapour barrier, studs with insulation full depth,sheathing ply ,breather membrane,counter batterns ,cladding. roof trusses ,breather membrane tiles etc. With plaster bd. vapour barrier and insulation to under of between trusses

whiteant":3a5acpj8 said:
I am thinking of building a 48 x 16 foot wooden house for a holiday/retreat/studio on a plot of land I own in a remote area.

As there is a high rainfall in Northern GB, I would like your opinion on what timber should be used in the frame construction.

I am thinking of cladding it in James Hardie plank thingys, saw these in Australia and thought them a good idea.
http://www.jameshardieeu.com/index.html

Are there any plans available for such an all wood selfbuild project?

Perhaps you need to furnish us with some additional details. Will it need planning permission - hence do you need formal plans - if so, could you find an architect who could do structural drawings as well as Planning drawings? one floor? Two floors? Flat roof?

Adam

Latest posts

Back