This is what you get.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gus3049

Established Member
Reaction score
for listening to the wife. Why don't you make an egg shaped thingy with a bowl in the side?

"but' was as far as I got.

So I did and what I got were two of those 'orrid 60's / 70's chairs! Dollshouse furniture anyone?

Its very open grained Iroko with a quick brushed lacquer slapped on. I'm not sure I shall take the finish any further!

Attachments

• 100_1258.jpg
    100_1258.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 992
  • 100_1259.jpg
    100_1259.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 992
Yup,

I was inspired by your recent posts and as I had this lump of old Iroko in the workshop left over from a door job I though I'd give it a spin.

It made the two er.... wotsits (at least it gave me some off-centre practice) and two boxes. As I am still learning to use the hollowing tool I was given, that too has been good practice. I am still struggling to get a good finish on the inside bottoms though. I will have to make a suitable scraper from one of the old rubbish Clarke chisels. I am awaiting an Axminster sanding system that may help too.

As I am still new to all this, it seems a good idea to try everything. Apart from the monthly 'competition' it will help me see what sells. The first two small boxes I made went straight away so it may well be a feature of my future work. If I can get near yours I will be a happy man (and no doubt be able to charge more!)

This turning lark is seriously addictive. Although I am forced to it because of my back surgery (can only lift a very small bit of wood at a time!) I find I want to spend all my time in the workshop which doesn't actually help my back as the angle of attack is carefully designed to hurt. Most of the time I have the headstock turned to face me so I don't have to bend over at an angle. I think I will have to raise the lathe much nearer to face level to be really comfortable. Might make the angle of attack interesting.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that makes things knowing I won't like the outcome! Having said that your two items could prototypes for an open fronted egg-cup for improved access....

Nicely made, but as you say, ??????

Deans Shortbread factory in Huntly has an excellent cafe attached, but they have soup bowls that are assymetric like that; very off-putting, as you keep thinking the soup is going to pour over the low edge.

I was thinking of keeping the hearing aids in them by the bedside. The low edge will give nice easy access when I'm half asleep in the morning! I can keep one in each.

You are braver than me to go anywhere near turning iroko Gordon! It brings me up in all sorts of things from very itchy eyes, hands and gawd knows what else. The last bit I turned I thought was a different wood, the rest burned quite well though!

Shame really, cause it has got a nice grain and your, er, thingies do look very interesting and have a nice grain..

What you need for your back is to start at the top and work down. I start with neck oil. Jenlane do it in 75 cl bottles in either amber or blonde. I find that after a couple of bottles I don't feel and pain anywhere really..

This is the medication http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/jenlain-ambr%C3%A9e/4677/ and it's only 7.5% so no problems, but don't take any more than 4 bottles a night or when operating machinery! :mrgreen:

Thank you all for your comments.

Maybe I'll try some much wider thingies and see what happens. I'm sure there is an idea trying to get out of there somewhere.

John - my hands seem pretty immune to anything but now you mention it I have had an awkward itch elsewhere and seem to remember it happening a year or so ago. That's when I did the doors so it could well be the Iroko.

The oil I will try for the back. The quack is talking about trying nerve stimulation so I may be wired soon. The Belgian beer I am not sure about. In a previous incarnation, I was an 'interior designer' and used to ply my trade to restaurants and pubs in Belgium. They were always extremely generous and seemed to find nothing more fun than seeing how much we Brits could handle. Most of their stuff had serious strength. I used to drive a pretty quick car and always found a certain amount of circumspection was necessary the next day. I think four bottles of that would cure almost any pain. Might produce interesting turnings too.

ah TWIT - I just reread your post John...........

pity, a bit of neck massage with oil from the wife might help though!!

cornucopia":iq7vf7hk said:
hmmmm.... yes.... er....

....that box behind it looks nice is that yours?
I think the boxes turned out just a bit better than the 'thingies'!

Fortunately, I have now run out of the 'building' Iroko. Its 'orrible stuff to turn. I don't know if its just the bit I had but it tears like mad. I reckon the finish is only about 10% wood and 90% lacquer.

Attachments

• 100_1263.jpg
    100_1263.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 678
  • 100_1264.jpg
    100_1264.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 678
Back