This is some of what I do.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyandzoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. Someone suggested that as a newbie i should do a bit of show and tell.

I have been on the woodworkers forum so some of you may get bored with this! We can only get a dial up connection so have just a few piccies on the web to show you.

I am essentially a turner of bowls which are sold to visitors to this part of scotland through markets,fairs and shops. I seem to turn hundreds of the things.

I am fortunate to have VB to turn big stuff and unusual stuff

IMG_0489.JPG

IMG_4350.JPG

We live on a croft on the shores of Little Loch Broom - its the sea leading to the summer isles and the minch.

IMG_0311.JPG

I turn in the byre attached to the croft house (under the 'tin' roof)

IMG_0244.JPG

Its like turning in a cave!!!

Turning on a croft is not always an easy life

sheep%20feb%2007.jpg

There is more (old) stuff at this link (hope this works) if you're interested http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/guyandzoe

Now there's a man who knows what machines are for, they're made for work not looking at. Look forward to some down to earth comments and input to for those trying to find their way with spinny things.

Great location and way of life if you have the stamina, I'm afraid I've never had the courage of my holiday pangs of envy to take the plunge away from the convenience of central rural England.

Yes the wet string internet must be a frustrating restriction on sharing your work with the wider world, those of us on BB forget it was only such a short time ago most of us were in the same predicament.

Some spectacular wall Sculptures and Burr turnings in your Gallery, I'd say your personality is well ingrained in your work.

Some great pictures on your link. I couldn't handle the hard work of just living where you do, but I can see that it does have it's rewards.

Stunning pictures of that great big off-centre piece you were turning, how was that mounted? It must have vibrated like a good'un.

Hello Guy, some wonderful turnings in your gallery, I'll look forward to seeing more as you post on here 8)

I'm really jealous of where you live :lol: it looks beautiful, middle of nowhere,proper winters and mountains!

JT

Thank you for your interest.

The wall sculptures are simply mounted on face plates which are moved from place to place on the wood. With a big lathe like the VB, which is well anchored to the floor and counterbalanced behind by a box of concrete blocks (the floors not all it should be!) theres remarkably little vibration. And dont forget this is not turning very fast!!

'down to earth comments'! uho someone knows me.

I should put more stuff on the web but it takes soooo longggg.

Doing a lot of wet burr turning at the moment and for xmas that will be alot of little 4 inch teeny bowls upwards, allowed to warp madly.

I do like some of those pieces you have. Unfortunately If I tried to make them I think my workshop (shed) would fall apart. I also envy you your croft. Our dream was always to have a smallholding but now age forbids as we are only too aware of the work involved. Looks like it gets cold in the workshop judging by the snow and the 'work clothes' :lol:

Pete

Welcome Guy
Some lovely stuff on the web site BTW. Looks a lovely part of the world where you live. That piece on the VB looks like its going to take off :D :D

Cheers
Steve

guyandzoe":zdnmvyme said:
Sorry me again. Johnny just noticed you're in Norfolk. I'm a North Lynn lad originally.

You've certainly swapped for a different view out of the window then Guy,not too many mountains around Kings Lynn :lol: :lol:

JT

Well, 70 mile round trip to Ullapool. Then I cant afford the beer. If you're in the ceilidh place you may get served in my bowls. Unfortunately for me they have had them for over 5 years. I wish they'd break a few!! They even go through the industrial washer without coming apart. I shoul;d have charged a lot more!!!!

I dont know Aberdeenshire very well. Its a long way from over here. But have collected pigs, geese, chooks and other various livestock plus wood from various aberdeenshire places.

We're paying over £1.40 per litre locally so glad to go to Dingwall today and get it for £1.16 thuis travel for wood lark is getting expensive.

Back