This is like embarrassing but i`m struggling with it bigtime

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarlC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Sorry haven`t been on long time.
What`s 1 3rd becausde i`ve been struggling on my M&T joint and was just reading the how to bit and it says about 1 3rd what`s this?
My tutor keeps disapearing out of the workshop so can`t really ask him :x .
This is what i`m struggling on most and it`s putting me off signing up for college in sep cause Carpentry`s a comitment.
But i want to be a Carpenter though, but if i can`t do M&T and i don`t know what a 3rd is i won`t be able to. :(

Thanks a million

Carl

Carl
In the context of a M&T joint, 1/3 or one third or a 3rd (all the same, different ways of putting it) is the traditional way of sizing the tenon.

I'll give you an example. Let's say you are making a simple frame out of ex-1" timber. It's sawn at an inch, right? But by the time it's planed up it's only 21mm thick.

So in this case, the tenon would be just 7mm thick, because 7 is third of 21 (3x7=21) and there would be 7mm of timber each side of it. It also means that in the piece that has the mortice cut into it, the mortice is 7mm wide, and the two walls of the mortice are also 7mm thick each.

I hope that is clear.
All the best
Steve

thanks all.My original tutor wasn`t in Friday so my boss took over, and he showed me how to make out a Mortice joint and what a 3rd was and now i can mark or Mortice joints easy and i no what a 3rd is now so am really happy.Want to take WW up as a hobby as well as a career.

Back