mini lathe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mqbernardo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for looking. I wonder if you guys can help me choose a small, cheap lathe? I know this topic has been dealt with before, but often the recommendation was for an Axminster model that i just can´t find (suppose it´s been discontinued) - the cheaper they have now is one for around 300 euros (IIRC). I´m just gonna need the lathe to turn some tuning pegs (and the odd chisel handle) so my needs are meager - are there any cheaper models? turning is all new to me, don´t really know what to look for.

Thanks in advance,
Miguel.

edit: should i´ve put this in the buying advice forum? if so, sorry and please move it.

edit2: ok, i now see that the cheapest axi one is 200 eur (but out of stock)

If your turning needs are meagre, get a turner to do the turning and you pay him/her. Would be cheapest by far, esp considering the postage if your location is Portugal, lathes etc are heavy.

I bought a Jet JML-1014 as my first lathe a few months ago and cannot fault it. It costs a bit more than your budget I think, but when I bought it there was a great deal on at Axminster.

A lot of people seem to be pulling to bits Draper and Clarke mini lathes. I have the Clarke CWL325V mini electronic speed lathe. I build static model boats, and the Clarke is ideal for tapering the masts. I have turned larger pieces of wood with the lathe and managed okay. And I do have some Axminster tools.
Martin

It's not for nothing or mere spite that people are unimpressed with the Clarke and Draper lathes Martin, you may find the lathe fine for your purposes which seem to be mainly very light, but the commenter's often speak from experience, either personal, or having seen these lathes in other workshops. There are a lot of very experienced turners in here who do know the difference between something that is worth spending your money on and the contrary. As is wisely stated by those who know, buy something of quality that costs a bit more and you weep only once when you pay, buy something cheap and you could well end up weeping every time you use it.

The small axminster and jet lathes that are frequently recommended to beginners are of a far superior build quality to the Clarke and Draper types, and are far more likely to do the job they are designed for.

Thanks for that information. I actually have used the lathe for heavier turning than my model work, and it has been okay. My wood turning experience is actually quite limited, I was looking for an easier way to taper turn the masts on static wooden model boats, and thought that the Clarke lathe would be okay. For my purpose, it is okay, as I don't really intend doing any really heavy wood turning. I am a Mechanical Engineer by trade, and have done quite a lot of metal turning, so I am used to that,so sometimes I am trying to relate my metal working to the wood turning. I do also have a Chester metal working mini lathe. Just some of the comments seemed a lit off putting to me, I am 61 now, so the Clarke will suffice me for now. It's nice to read some of the comments though on wood turning, so hopefully I should be able to pick up a lot of wood turning tips.
Martin

My first mini lathe was a Sip mini lathe 01492 second hand. did me proud. Blow it up from over use in the end. So then bought another the same second hand. ... just as good as the first! Now have a bigger axi lathe

Martin

If you are only intending to do model work then maybe a Unimat lathe would suit. I have heard both good and bad reports about the Unimat 1 system which is a 6 in 1 machine specifically made with model making in mind.

Latest posts

Back