thinking of this lathe, opinions please..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the opinions folks, like Steve I was looking for a decent starter lathe, almost ordered the Axminster awvsl 1000, but told "Not in stock", (waiting for a slow boat from China!), so have decided to go with Jenx and get the Fox, (it'll match my thicknesser!!), at £225 from Poolewood it seems a bargain, has anyone dealt with this company?, if so, are they o'k?
Sorry if I've hijacked the thread but this was the ideal opportunity to find a few answers.
Jenx, how many pieces was it delivered in?
Thanks in anticipation,
pip

Pip":i2h6d6cp said:
Thanks for all the opinions folks, like Steve I was looking for a decent starter lathe, almost ordered the Axminster awvsl 1000, but told "Not in stock", (waiting for a slow boat from China!), so have decided to go with Jenx and get the Fox, (it'll match my thicknesser!!), at £225 from Poolewood it seems a bargain, has anyone dealt with this company?, if so, are they o'k?
Sorry if I've hijacked the thread but this was the ideal opportunity to find a few answers.
Jenx, how many pieces was it delivered in?
Thanks in anticipation,
pip

I bought a Fox mini lathe that I had problems with, Terry at Poolewood was excellent and got a new replacement sorted quickly. so I can't fault their customer service.

stevebuk":pu66wbq5 said:
Many thanks guys for all the input here, i have decided to wait and save a bit longer and get something far better as in this price range i really cant get anything i haven't already got.

That's the best Idea, no point buying one you will out grow as your skill
levels improve. I am on an old pipe bed and will keep to it for another
year whilst squirreling money away for another one..Like you I have seen
what can be done on the right lathe and chuck.. :lol:

I actually fancied the fox lathe too, i am going to re-jig my cabin so i have more room, wife says she will give her area over to me in order to acrue more space, bless her.

HI Pip .... It came in two box/cartons.

1 - Lathe bed on its own
2- Legs, headstock & toolrest, slide etc.

BOTH cartons are a hell of a weight, and for the bigger of the two (2), its definately worth trying to arrange two or thee people to manoeuvre it to where you are going to assemble it.

Its an easy enough 'build' .. took me about 45 minutes to have the thing together, if i remember correctly... and there's nothing difficult in it at all.. really simple to do it.. the only 'hassle' is the bulk, but that'd be the same for any machine.

I'm pleased with it.. and at £225, thats DOWN in price, which is great.. I was £260 plus the vat.

In my ( inexperienced) opinion.. you get a wee bit more than you pay for.. and its not often that a person can say that !
If it had been priced at 400, I wouldn't have felt short-changed !

Keep us posted as to how you get on , Pip ....

FWIW - from 'ordering to delivery' I was 3 days.
( Got mine Locally from the Agent in Aberdeen :wink: :lol: )

All the best, and I think you should really enjoy it !

Alun :D

Quite simply get the biggest and best lathe you have space for. I have a little record RML 300 with a cast bed which is fine and a good demonstrator machine. Also have Hegner HDB 200, a Grad and an old antique lathe.

Thanks Jenx, Bracky1 and all, lathe now ordered, have 2 big lads to help with build and siting so should be o'k. Suppose with the chuck(s), drive centres, gouges, blanks and finishing stuff, I can now look forward to a future of abject poverty!!
Hey Ho!
pip

hog&bodge":2i4mf9li said:
with a cast bed
A solid base and or hard standing makes all the diff to a lathe..
So I have found out..
Well perhaps a few sharp tools will not go amiss.. :wink:

I have a wooden floor in my cabin, would this make a difference and increase vibration?

stevebuk":1xyq9f17 said:
hog&bodge":1xyq9f17 said:
with a cast bed
A solid base and or hard standing makes all the diff to a lathe..
So I have found out..
Well perhaps a few sharp tools will not go amiss.. :wink:

I have a wooden floor in my cabin, would this make a difference and increase vibration?

I work out of a 10 x 6 shed with a wooden floor. Even when using a mini lathe the shed bounces. If there is any way of bolting the lathe down do it. It really does make a world of diffference especially if (when) you start doing off centre and out of balance turning. Makes life much easier if the wood only moves in a circular pattern around the spindle and not up and down at the same time :lol:

Pete

CIMG1513.jpg

CIMG1517.jpg

hmmm, cant quite see myself going that far with it, maybe put a couple of paving slabs down first and bolt it to them, or sand bags even.

Don't get too concerned about a base for a lathe Steve. Think about what you intend turning first. It is all relative, if you intend swinging great pieces of unbalance timber, anchor it down, the more concrete the better. If not just a free standing lathe is OK.

TEP":3anfvc79 said:
Don't get too concerned about a base for a lathe Steve. Think about what you intend turning first. It is all relative, if you intend swinging great pieces of unbalance timber, anchor it down, the more concrete the better. If not just a free standing lathe is OK.
I agree I had to change my base for a chunky more substantial one
with some heavy storage underneath...
That is one hell of a good job you have done there richburrow
Bet will have no movement or vibration with that block of concrete.

Must admit if it came to having to go that far I would, 'But' would find a way
of getting friends to do most of the donkey work..Most would jump
right in with a crate of beer for afters :lol:

Back