Thinking of switching to fibre broadband?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am just about to bin SKY broadband (no longer need the sky tv package) and was looking what was on offer in my area. I noticed that fibre broadband has rolled out and TalkTalk are offering a 76 Mb connection and was thinking of giving that a try. Most of the TV we watch tends to be on iPlayer and it is not always very reliable on our current connection. Just wanted to ask whether anyone has done the same recently and if so was it a positive outcome or did the extra bandwidth not make much difference?

Thanks

i was thinking of switching from talktalk to virgin, because i didnt know that they did this service. i await the answers with interest.

We got BT infinity at the beginning of the year because we were getting 2 mbits? And at peak times we could not load anything...........
Infinity gets about 40 and we have had no problems....

We will switch to another cheaper provider when the contract is up as BT were the only people to do fibre optic at the time.

We've got Infinity 2 in our village 70Mbps max!

Generally 30 odd most of the time.

Rod

I went with virgin as it is genuinely unlimited downloads. When we looked at Infinity there were limits to amount you could download. Had no problems with virgin at all in 15 months.
Edit.
Its worth pointing out that I watch a lot of tv on the laptop - live football on Skygo etc - and I get no problems whatsoever.

I was involved in installing cable in the ground in the nineties (Bell Cable Media, bought by Cable & Wireless then so on and so forth) At the time, cable was offering speeds of 45megs, telephone, cable to cable calls free, sat. tv, radio (no BT line rental) and various other packages. I have not since been involved and am now behind times, I live in a 'hamlet' where there is no cable but if it were available I would be on it like a shot, no antenna, no signal drop-out, no interference, everything from the one provider, you can change your package to suit yourself, start with the essentials then upgrade if the urge takes you.
All I can say is talk to a salesman before making the decision and ask for details of the different packages.

Andy

Had fibre installed just before Christmas. TalkTalk 38Meg @ £5 month. Best test so far is 35Meg but that's because of the copper line length to the roadside cabinet.
The Openreach engineer finished the installation with a demonstration with IPlayer to stream a one hour programme in about 10 seconds.

HTH
Robbo

flanajb":rcg0e643 said:
........ Most of the TV we watch tends to be on iPlayer and it is not always very reliable on our current connection. ...........
It may not be available in your area but Virgin Media TV has iPlayer (and the commercial broadcaster's equivalents) built in.

Eric The Viking":3md1qud2 said:
"Port contention" to the lot o' ye!

I've noticed our Virgin cable (fibre-ish) has significantly slowed down over the holidays.

:-(

E.
My Virgin broadband download speed is 31.2mb every time I test it. With the recent upsurge in BT Infinity I wonder if they're will raise it again for free?

so other than a monthly fee to pay, is there any downside to fibre broadband?

marcros":2dif60ld said:
so other than a monthly fee to pay, is there any downside to fibre broadband?
None I can think of but do have a good chat to see what deals they have.

I wouldn't recommend Talk Talk based on previous experience with their other services including extremely poor customer service if something does go wrong.

We're with Virgin and it's been very good.

Back