Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnimble

Established Member
Reaction score
Although hand flattening and thicknessing is doable and even fun for the first board, the thicknessing kinda gets tedious after a while, especially getting the board faces parallel AND to a near exact thickness.

Currently looking at the Jet JPM12 and JPM-13CSX. Both machines look weel do not take up to many floor space. The 13CSX seems the better vhoice, better motor and gearing (less noice), slightly wider, coated feed rolers, more planer knife hits per length of board (better finish), better dust extraction etc. However the machine is quite heavy on the budget.

Most of my work is with a wide array of exotics and mostly thin stock. Repeatability and aqurately getting something to thickness matters to me.

Any thoughts on the both machines?

I have the 10" P/T and have sung it's praises here many times. Jet machinery is generally well made. I was so impressed with my P/T I bought a Jet TS. I don't think you can go far wrong.

The bigger machine certainly seem like a good prospect. If you can afford it?

If you can afford one of the two you will not look back. I bought the new record pt 300 and found that apart from some small setup checks worked great out of the box. :D When I use it I wounder why I didn't have one years ago. :shock:

If you're dealing with thin stock wouldn't you be better off with a drum sander - far less aggressive and less likely to damage the stock than cutter knives?

Brian

The smaller (and affordable) machines have a much shorter table. The other are about the same price as the JPM13 and 4 times up.

Besides the price how many pases would it take to get from a non uniform thickness taking off a total of about 3 to 4 mm in thickness. A lot I would reckon.

With a piece of MDF as a backer a thickness planer should easily handle upto 6mm boards with would be the absolute thinnest I use.

Nobody owns or has seem the JMP13 and can compare it to the portable versions of Jet, DeWalt, ...?

I do wonder who buys these machines. They sit between pro-hobby and pro-industrial.

wizer":2dnit3vj said:
I do wonder who buys these machines. They sit between pro-hobby and pro-industrial.
Our American friends do, just flip trough the Powermatic, Jet and other catalogs to see lots of similar and larger models. Having a 16" jointer of 24" thicknesser is not that exotic. Of course their prices are at about half to a a third.

The problem I find putting thin stock through the thicknesser is that it often chatters (probably due to it resonating) and the quality of cut suffers. You end up with a high reject rate and with expensive or quality timber I'd be loathe to do this! That's why I'm considering a drum sander for that purpose.

Brian

I have the Jet 12", it will take off 3-4mm in three to five passes depending on the wood. Very good machine but the noise it makes is shocking.

Green":1y7pyoob said:
I have the Jet 12", it will take off 3-4mm in three to five passes depending on the wood. Very good machine but the noise it makes is shocking.

That's the 12" thickness planer I presume? And not a 12" Thivkness Sander?

The smaller JMP12 thickness planer has an universal motor which are very loud especially at those power ratings and with the greased gears for the feed rollers.

The JMP13 has an induction motor and the gearing runs in an oil tank / carter. ONly should be loud when the knifes hit the wood but still quitter.

yes my PT is loud, but then I wear ear defenders for all machinery, so it doesn't bother me.

Sorry forgot to say it is the Jet 12" thicknesser.

Noise doesnt bother me, its the neighbours I worry about.

tnimble":1hvbodxm said:
Nobody owns or has seem the JMP13 and can compare it to the portable versions of Jet, DeWalt, ...?

Yes :wink:

wizer":1hvbodxm said:
I do wonder who buys these machines.

Me :wink:

Hi Laura, I have a Jet JPM-13CSX.

work152.jpg

It is a good machine, I previously had (still do) an SIP bench top thicknesser.
To be honest the SIP is also a good machine for the money.

Both have rubber feed rollers
the SIP has a two knife cutter block and uses disposable knives (although they last quite a while and are reversible)
The Jet has a three knife block, the knives are resharpnable (i have three sets so am always in possesion of a sharp set) £6.00 to have them sharpened.
Noise wise there is a bit of a difference, the SIP is a bit louder (Universal motor), But the Jet wwouldn'tbe usable at night either :lol:
They both give an excellent finish, the Jet taking 13" width, SIP 12.5"
The big difference comes in the depth of cut.
The SIP will cut 2mm no problem on a 4" wide board, but struggle cutting 2mm on a 10" board.
The Jet will cut 4mm on a 10" board no problem (although not to be recommended all the time).

The Jet is very accurate providing you set the height gauge correctly.
SIP a bit more agricultural :lol: but ok.
Both suffer a little from snipe if the work is not supported properly.
The SIP rollers need cleaned after every use, if not they slip due to dust build up. so far the Jet hasn't had that problem.
The biggest problem i have had with the jet is extraction on heavy cuts or wide boards 12" or so.
The space above the feed rollers where the chippings are extracted from is quite thin, and when there is a lot of chippings being generated from a deep cut or wide board, they struggle to get through and can clog the rollers resulting is the timber sticking DAMHIKT :oops:

The SIP can be run off a 13amp plug , the Jet kept blowing fuses so needs a 16 amp supply.

I have thicknessed down to 8mm on both machines with no problems.

I don't regret buying either :D The Jet is the better machine without doubt, but is it worth the money ? Umm i suppose the answer is yes if you use it alot (which i do).
Anything else just ask.
HTH
Gary.

Thanks Gary.

Why do you hold on to the SIP? Is it a backup or what makes you decide which of the two to use?

Hi Laura,
Bit late :oops:
I have kept the SIP simply because i couldnt be bothered to try and get rid of it.
I have taken it on site a few times since and find it great for machining bits and pieces.
So the Jet stays in the workshop and is used most of the time. The SIP is, i suppose, a back up and usefull for its portability.
Cheers,
Gary.

Latest posts

Back