thicknesser/planer blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halken

Established Member
Reaction score
i have a luna woody hm 160 p/t that i stole off ebay for £38, i bought it on the understanding that the blades had little "nibbles" in. I have taken them out and i found that the blades are reversible, after refitting them the results are brilliant. Now if i ruin this edge i am snookered as ive searched every where and all i can find is a scandanavian site that mentions the woody, i have emailed them but i have no reply so can anyone help in locating a new pair of blades, is there a uk supplier that will do mail order

Kenny

Are these throw away blades? If so you might want to try your local saw doctor service as there are all sorts of disposable blades around and I somehow doubt that Luna would have come up with a unique design. Luna themselves still exist (in Sweden), although these days they are an importer/distributor and no longer manufacture, so at an outside shot they might still be able to supply replacements

Scrit

thanks for the ideas i wonder if these blades could be sharpened i realise that they would be slightly shorter but there is plenty of ajustment on the planer so it might mean making 2 passes instead of one

Er, it doesn't work like that. If you grind them you need to have a machine where either the blade height is adjustable (and if it has a locator groove at the back it probably isn't) or the outfeed table height can be adjusted. Does your machine have either of these features?

Scrit

If its like my kity you may be able to get one sharpening out of them. The blades attatch to a steel carrier that is then adjusted like a standard HSS blade but as the carrier is only a mill or two below the edge of the blade you can't grind the blade back much.

Whats the size of the blades length, width and thickness?

Jason

in the first picture you can see the set up of the blade and in the second pic it shows 2 allen bolts that (i think set the depth of the blade holder in the machine ) the blade is 160mm by 18mm and obviously any replacement would nee the 2 holes in as this locates the blade to the holder.
by the way thanks for the welcome neil

Those blades look to me as though they are resharpenable cutters, especially if the blade height is set on a pair of sockt head machine screws. The wedge bar you illustrate is a ommon enough pattern, the only variation is that the blade is locked-in by the pins at either end. I'd find a local saw doctor service and ask if they can supply replacements as the answer will probably be yes

Scrit

does any one in the north east know of a saw doctor service i can get in touch with i cant find any in the phone book. there must be some around here

I don't know if they will be of use, but Ernest Bennett have a depot in Darlington:

Ernest Bennett & Co Darlington Ltd
Block 11
Durham Tees Valley Airport
Darlington
County Durham
DL2 1PD

Telephone: 01325 332656

I've used Bennett for saw blades but they also make planer blades at their Sheffield HQ. Very knowledgeable firm, if spomewhat trades oriented

Scrit

The luna woodster planer was taken on by MAfell and became the Mafell ad160. Blades are reversible and are sold in either single pairs at £13.00 or 3 pairs in a packet £36.00 plus vat and postage.
Blades can be ordered from NMA Agencies on 01484 400488 who import the Mafell stuff into the UK.
Ask for Richard.

Latest posts

Back