There is something wrong with me mind

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnimble

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm a complete power tool person, at least until lapping the 70ies Stanley no 4 DIY which I've had laying around for years since my dad gave it to me.

I now also got a stanley no 8 which I researched on the net. And I found its a late 1920 model.

This weekend I've build a de-rusting station which works wonders.

Most of the rust have already been removed from all the parts of both planes in just a few hours altogether.

There are a few parts left to do and then it onto buffing and polishing department.

However I've caught myself in the act of looking at a no 3, 5, 6, 55, 71, 78 and 131 and have my head full of ideas for making two hanging tool cabinates. One to fit no 1 to no 8 and the other to fit the speciality planes. :? Is this normal?

Interested to know how you go about setting up a de-rusting outfit like the one in the picture ?

Cheers, Paul. :D

tnimble":1lcvpd82 said:
I now also got a stanley no 8 which I researched on the net. And I found its a late 1920 model.

However I've caught myself in the act of looking at a no 3, 5, 6, 55, 71, 78 and 131 and have my head full of ideas for making two hanging tool cabinates. One to fit no 1 to no 8 and the other to fit the speciality planes. :? Is this normal?

Ummm errr .......It's not normal for a normal person , :lol: but woodworkers aren't normal, I think we can all agree on that :D so the answer is as Paul says "Yes"

The big question here is, Are two cabinets enough? :lol:

Here's some algebra for not so normal people

529645101_3910977bac.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:
PS.... Your deruster, any chance of more info on how to do it.

LN,

Your calculation does not factor in the effect of the slope greasers on this forum.
Before I joined I was "almost normal" and my addiction was under control.

I'm sorry, I fail to see anything remarkable about this at all. What am I missing...? :-k

Cheers, Alf :whistle:

P.S. Can't say whether two cabinets are enough unless there's a known size. Walk-in ones might cover it. Possibly.

I guess the cabinates would both be around 25" wide and 40" high. I think I make them with glass fitter doors and make another two with solid doors for all of the chisels, gouges, measuring tools, hand saw, .... Or maybe also with glass fitted doors and replace my el-cheapo chisel sets with Japanese chisels and ... Hmm I'm going to rethink that (I hope)

tnimble":1oxyrekh said:
I guess the cabinates would both be around 25" wide and 40" high. I think I make them with glass fitter doors and make another two with solid doors for all of the chisels, gouges, measuring tools, hand saw, .... Or maybe also with glass fitted doors and replace my el-cheapo chisel sets with Japanese chisels and ... Hmm I'm going to rethink that (I hope)

And heating and a dehumidifier, combination lock, cctv. :)

DomValente":1bvgc2tx said:
So one* can drool over them from the comfort of one's armchair? Ooo, I can see that catching on... :lol:

Cheers, Alf

*Use of "one" to indicate no particular accusation towards any particular collector

Oh i do love restoring old tools but I find pitting hard to deal with.
But old hand tools do seem to be much much better than the mass produced ones nowadays

I think my slope was already pretty steep and well greased, but lurking over here hasn't helped a bit to slow down. Have you noted that in some point you thought you had everything you needed, just to realise a month later that the number of your planes is growing exponentially?

Earlier I had some discussion with wife about how many planes I would need. Garret Hack actually saved me. After quoting him to my wife I have had no complaints ever since.

And what was the quote?

"There is no such thing as a complete set of molding planes"

Going already :wink:

Pekka

I like that quote Pekka. This morning a looked at a dutch ebay alike site to see a set of 13 wooden moulding planes. Wow 13 that is a lot! Lets have a look, Hmm 13 is not that much :D to bad they are already sold :(

But I had the honour today to unpack my ca 1930 stanley USA no 5. The seller also had an early model no 113 which I could not resist.

I've currently set my mind on a no 3. The no 4 I have is only a no 4 handyman with no frog adjustment, a not do good lateral adjuster (very crude to set) and a rather large mouth.

And I'm almost ready to start on building the extension to the shop so instead of using my router, chop saw and chisels I will need a shoulder a rabbet plane.

Hi tnimble,

A couple of nice planes there :) I have one of those Stanley #113 circular planes that I managed to pick up cheaply at a second-hand shop. Despite their rather "quaint" design, I find that they work well and the adjustment mechanism is good. They do, however, have one weakness and that is where the rear handle is fixed to the frog assembly. It is fitted with screws which pass through the frog and into the handle. There is not much metal around the screw holes in the handle and the casting often breaks there, no doubt partly because there is considerable leverage on the handle at that point. If yours is OK (mine is broken :cry: ) it's worth keeping your eye on it and ensuring that the screws are done up tightly. I've used mine without the handle, but it's a bit uncomfortable - must make a wooden one some time.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I just checked the handle and frog. There in superb condition, no break, no signs of metal fatige only a lot of dust, some surface rust near the gear is a little surface rust, i estimate that about 90% of the japanning in tact. It only needs the dust blown of, polish the brass parts and de-rust near the gears. If I would re-japan it I guess its almost in the same condition as it was in the early 20th centery.

Jarviser":34idkw15 said:
tnimble":34idkw15 said:
One to fit no 1 to no 8 and ......
I think there may be a gap on the left hand side for quite a while!

Indeed, however I could already have an excelent no 2. Two selles of a no 2 already passed in the last month but I let them go for now a bit on the expensive side just so soon after the no5, no8 and no113. They where priced 180 and 220 quid.

For the no1 you must be lucky I guess to come across one and actually have enough money with you / at the moment.

Perhaps even a better idea is to sneak in a Lie Nielsen between the stanleys.

Back