Their "big box stores" and ours!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cozzer

Established Member
Reaction score
Just watched Rex Krueger's video on building an "English Joiner's Bench"...
Nice job, but had to smile at the end, when he claimed that he costed it at about US$ 100 to complete, with timber bought at a "big box" store!
Granted the video is from 2020, but can imagine walking into B&Q/Wickes/Homebase - our big box stores? - for 2x10 of any length?!
Crikey!
2 of 2x10 "rough construction lumber", 2 of 4x4 and 3 of 2x4....
"Ideal for the beginner or intermediate woodworker who doesn't have a lot of money...."
Well, you'd certainly have a lot less money after that shopping list these days!

I built my 7' Moravian bench with 2" southern yellow pine in 2019, it cos £100 from Lathams.

I still haven't finished it...........

Actually, I think it's 6' long as I used a couple of 12' lengths of 2"x12"
IMG_0981.JPG

Last edited:
Nice! (Well...when you finish it!)
Round my neck of the woods, you'd be lucky to find anything wider than 6" in a DIY store!

True, but to be fair the entire housing stock nearly relies on timber so its not a shock to see the likes of Home Depot or Lowes stocking materials for it.

You can get lumps that big, but obviously not as cheap and not quite as easily. Also a lot of it that big is treated

I know it's not the UK, but for what its worth, a couple of years ago I built a split top bench from 40cm by 4cm by 3m planks from the local Obi. The vise was more expensive than the wood. The wood cost me about fifty quid in local currency equivalent.

I'm pretty new to this and have been buying plywood from B&Q (just for making workshop storage etc.), is this a mistake? Is there a cheaper/better option in the UK? I'd love birch ply but the prices are just crazy now. I'm based in Newcastle if that's helpful.

menatarms
look for a local plywood importer......u may have to buy 10 sheets but with a good choice of woods.......
it's even cheaperif u can buy the big packs....50x3/4" or 60 odd at 1/2"...split it with ur mates...
and they will deliver.....

it's not just the wood at the bigbox stores.....
tools like u wouldn't believe.....at bargain prices comp to Europe....
I wish there was no import duty or smaller percentage to pay...

Ah I see thanks, don't think I'll ever be after that much to be honest, the most I ever get at a time is 2 or 3 sheets. Even if could get that many storing them would be difficult too...

In terms of hardwood is a large company like Lathams ok or are they very expensive? There's one near me and they seem to stock quite a good variety of them, my other options are Hexhamshire Hardwoods who I've heard are good but very expensive, and Real Wood Studios in the borders which is a little far.

I built my 7' Moravian bench with 2" southern yellow pine in 2019, it cos £100 from Lathams.

I still haven't finished it...........

Actually, I think it's 6' long as I used a couple of 12' lengths of 2"x12"
View attachment 145586

Are you building some kind of timber perpendicular fan vault? It looks stunning! The drawings are lovely too.

It’s well worth a look at Hexhamshire hardwoods. It’s an amazing place and the guy that used to run it (Richard) is really really helpful. Not sure if he still works there or not. Best to call first to check they are open before you go.

Latest posts

Back