The Woodwright's Shop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George_N

Established Member
Reaction score
I came across The Woodwright's Shopfor the first time today. I particularly enjoyed the program on old woodworking machines used for making sash windows. I did find the presenter a bit annoying, though.

I linked to this a month or so ago - TV gold!!! I love watching it. I don't agree with you on the presenter though, for me he makes the show. I can't remember which episode it was but he goes into this 30min non stop un-edited rant about hand tools and the spirit of woodworking - amazing enthusiasm.

I wish I could see more of this program, I'll have to try and source some DVD's from across the pond.

George_N":fyficmja said:
I did find the presenter a bit annoying, though.

Saint Roy? Annoying?? The man's a legend (hammer). Wish we could get all of his shows here. I can highly recommend all of his books, though - very readable and full of knowledge and wisdom.

Pete

Wonderful show. The presenter is a bit odd but in a funny way. It apears that the show is already a very long running one and thet besides the show there are a bunch of books avaiable from him. Besided the show he is also involved is many other things like restoration, old crafts guilds etc

I just love the 'point camera at roy and let him go' style of production, its great, and so natural.

When you watch Norm and the like, its so heavily produced and staged that it sometimes difficult to get drawn in to what he is doing.

With the woodwright, his enthusiasm and realness make the show. I love it when he's explaining a dovetail joint, he's actually got a stuffed bird there with him to illustrate the point and hie's knocking pieces of his bunch, dropping stuff etc.. but all the while being passionate and informative, super stuff.

Oops, I seem to have stepped on the toes of the Roy Underhill fan club...sorry guys. I don't doubt his enthusiasm and I did find the show entertaining and informative...maybe he will grow on me.
Some time back Scrit posted one of his "guess the purpose of this machine" threads and one of the machines turned out to be a relisher. There ensued some debate about the term "relisher" and whether it was a local term etc. The "Old Woodworking Machines" program shows one in action, cutting a tenon shoulder for the bottom of a window sash whilst simultaneously boring a weep hole (if I understood it correctly)...fascinating that there was a stand-alone machine for just that one function.

George_N":2nimqe6d said:
Oops, I seem to have stepped on the toes of the Roy Underhill fan club...sorry guys. I don't doubt his enthusiasm and I did find the show entertaining and informative...maybe he will grow on me.
Some time back Scrit posted one of his "guess the purpose of this machine" threads and one of the machines turned out to be a relisher. There ensued some debate about the term "relisher" and whether it was a local term etc. The "Old Woodworking Machines" program shows one in action, cutting a tenon shoulder for the bottom of a window sash whilst simultaneously boring a weep hole (if I understood it correctly)...fascinating that there was a stand-alone machine for just that one function.

No need to apologise George, all views are valid :)

Thats a great episode though, I love all the pulley's and semi mechanised machines, the mortiser is great! Some of the machines though are quite frightening, and it's amazing those guy's using them still have all their digits!

Very entertaning i thought.
Although i am more into power tools these days i do like watching hand tools in use.
The old workshop reminded of a place where i used to work with all those belts :shock:
Paul.J.

Regarding Roy Underhill , here are few particulars. At over 30 yrs. on TV on PBS , the undisputed longevity champ for woodworking shows. Apparently he is a major league Green Warrior who spent some time living in a tent (some say teepee) on cheyenne Mountain. He presently lives in a water mill , my guess would be he uses some of that river power. He has had some of the legendary woodworkers of all time as guests including Frank Klaus , Brian Boggs, Chris Shwarz and Peter Follansbee amongst many others.
Oh , by the way , the show which was a monologue on the spirit of woodcraft is available on his site along with 5 or 6 more years of programs for online streaming. If I were computer savvy enough I would post a link . Just Google The Woodwright Shop , easy peasy , and go to watch video online and enjoy.
One more thing , he seems to age more slowly than other TV hosts , curious that.

There's a recent episode where he's making a Roubo book stand and grazes his knuckle. You can tell it's one take as he finishes the show still dripping blood.

I have to say they're really well scripted, rehearsed and directed, and the camera work is pretty good too. I used to work on a lot of that sort of thing - multi-camera, as-live, "make" sequences, and I can say it's a lot harder to prepare and do than it looks.

I was initially put off by his style but it's grown on me and I'm pretty sold on him now.

E.

Back