The Results ( June Box challenge )

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gus3049":2xhb6e4u said:
By the way everybody, I mean no insult to those that did well this month. I just intended to register my feelings about the judging.

No insult felt by me, Gordon.

But who'd be a judge, eh? It comes down to the judge's personal taste and how he interprets the brief - after the obvious things such as technical competance, quality of finish etc are out the way. Perhaps in a future competition there could be a place for both a "basic box" and an "ornamental box" category?

Anyhow, please don't leave the competition.

Hi all.

I have a suggestion to make.
Just for the fun of it everybody choose the first five they would have chosen and give the reasons for their choice.
Put them up here .
I will donate a prize to one of the entrants.
Remember this is just for fun.
I am going to PM blister now and tell him how the winner will be chosen and it will be nothing to do with skill or what your choices are.

This bowl will be posted to the winner.
DSC01013.jpg

Regards George

Hudson Carpentry":do5sn0m7 said:
Well done all.

T.Walton. You withdrawing with the reason you stated did offend me. It came across as you think your to good for this comp and would win hands down if you entered. This comp has pro's entering and the prize isn't of a large cash sum. I apologise if this wasn't your attention but just because your a pro, does not mean you would have any advantage over other pros here. Many of the winners are hobbyist leaving the pro's for dust :lol: . Unless of cause your are an award winning turner for design.

I’m sorry if I have offended anyone this was not my intention in similar words used in the quote above, it was suggested that if I continued I would possibly win every month and win the overall trophy, basically I was polity asked to withdraw as I do not want to cause problems and in the interest of the organisers, judges and competitors I decided the best thing for me to do was to withdraw and put down similar words as those used in the original message to me as my reason for leaving the competition.

I do not think that I am better than anyone else and never will there are many exceptionally gifted turners out there hobby and pro’s that are far better than me.

Tony

1st - Haldane - For its simple elegance - reminded me of Mike Staffords
2nd - Wood spoiler - Ignoring the Fugly wood, its a nice design, and i can tell that lid fits !
3rd - Blister - nice user box, i can see this with spice etc in my kitchen, would have been 2nd but had one too many lines on the lid for me.
4th - Melinda - Simple shape, lid almost flows into the body, very clean, nice finish on lid and base.
5th - como - very smart grain match on the base/lid, again great cleanup of lid inner, and base.

Oh well, here goes - you get two for the price of one.

Me first:
1st - Johnny T - by a country mile. Stunning work of art, great craftmanship
2nd - If he had entered - Tony Walton - Great workmanship, stunning finish but it didn't quite work for me
aesthetically - the wings spoiled it, without those it was a great shape. Nice finial.
3rd - Kym - classic box, beautifully decorated.
4th - The top half of Silverbirch!! I liked everything else about it, the shape and finish were first class.
5th - Haldane - Again, a classic box well made.
6th - As I have a non existent No 2 - Blister - Simple, elegant

My wife:
1st - Johnny T - Exquisite and artistic - a miniature gem
2nd - Kym - Very pretty and well proportioned, lovely decoration
3rd - How can I say this? slight bias? - Gus3049 - Lovely shape and balance with usefully divided space for my
VERY small jewelry collection
4th - Rings a bell - Top half of Silverbirch - very pretty shape and looks well finished.
5th - Blister - just looks right somehow (very precise my wife)
and as HE gets a 6th, LOZ - IF the finial were better balanced with the rest, its too heavy compared with the bottom half!!

What is a box?What is a closed form? What is a goblet with a lid on it?What is a container?All of the above were entered as boxes, but the call was for a box. For all its worth, George did a hell of a job.

1 Teknoimage
2 duncanh
3 silverbirch
4 haldane
5 johnnyt(completely over the top and in a different league design wise. Loved your decorated bowl as well. I had it #1)

T. Walton":rkltqvv8 said:
Hudson Carpentry":rkltqvv8 said:
Well done all.

T.Walton. You withdrawing with the reason you stated did offend me. It came across as you think your to good for this comp and would win hands down if you entered. This comp has pro's entering and the prize isn't of a large cash sum. I apologise if this wasn't your attention but just because your a pro, does not mean you would have any advantage over other pros here. Many of the winners are hobbyist leaving the pro's for dust :lol: . Unless of cause your are an award winning turner for design.

I’m sorry if I have offended anyone this was not my intention in similar words used in the quote above, it was suggested that if I continued I would possibly win every month and win the overall trophy, basically I was polity asked to withdraw as I do not want to cause problems and in the interest of the organisers, judges and competitors I decided the best thing for me to do was to withdraw and put down similar words as those used in the original message to me as my reason for leaving the competition.

I do not think that I am better than anyone else and never will there are many exceptionally gifted turners out there hobby and pro’s that are far better than me.

Tony

Fair enough. I didn't see your entry and maybe if the mods asked you to withdraw (which is another issue I don't agree with hehe) then they should have made a note on your post saying so.

Ok - here are my top 5 boxes....

1. Johnny.t - I like the unusual take on the idea of a box - and the colouring and piercing are great.
2. My own box (tekno.mage) - which I like for the simplicity of the design & the decoration.
3. Silverbirch - Well executed ornamental box. Nice shape & practical.
4. Haldane - Classic simple box.
5. Duncanh - Nice shape and well executed.

If I'm not allowed to vote for my own box for number 2, then move the rest up one and add Blister's box in at number 5 - it would have been higher as I love the decoration, but somehow the shape of the lid just didn't quite do it for me.

1. Jonzjob - Very nice design, I like the inside finial that locks it all together and the different compartments. The wood is very nicely finished and set off perfectly by the splat lines. The shape for me is nice, not to square and not to curvey.

The rest is hard as none of the rest are to my taste.
2. Loz - Not to much like a goblet due to the height of the finial. Its not your normal shaped box. Different shades work together.
3. Gus3049 - Nice wood and with the tray inside makes an usual box that looks like a goblet.
4. Myturn - I like the different tree parts that match, making a very interesting and useful piece of wood.
5. Nev - Although the basic shape isn't to my taste I love the wood selection and would buy it purely for that alone.

These are only my personal taste opinions. I don't feel im "qualified" to comment on turning skills.

My vote goes as follows

1 George volunteered to be a Judge along with Barry

2 They are both more qualified than me to make Judgments

3 I am satisfied with all results

4 No more to say rely as I am not a Judge :wink:

my tuppence worth (even after stating previously i dont envy the judging job)

1. tekno.mage -- proportionately bang on, fantastic finish and great tool control.
2. silverbirch - again proportions look right, good matching of top and bottom 'bowls' great finish
3. loz - beautiful 'classic' shape, great finish and would probably have been my first choice if the finial was finer or the pedestal thicker.
4. johnnyT - fantastic idea and execution, and beautiful to behold but i feel that it was more a creation with a small cubby hole than a box with flair, if that makes sense. (the more i read it the less it does!)
5. jumps - good repetition of shape, showing tool control but would have preferred the lid to join in the cove as opposed on the bead and not too keen on the wood.

that was not easy :? , again i do not envy your job George. =D>

1st tekno.mage Well-proportioned and executed inside and out including the texturing and colouring
2nd Haldane Very well made box nice shape clean lines and finish
3rd johnny.t. nice decorative box would have been higher up but I felt the walls of the box were a bit too thick in comparison to the decorative skirt
4th duncanh nice oyster box would have been in the top 2 but 2 things caught my eye when the box is assembled the curve on the top is not smooth there are two facets and when the box is open the right hand pic there are two steps on the inside, there should only be the one to match the left image.
5th gus3049 I like the inner tray to separate items and I’m sure the girls will love that to

Loz would have been 5th if I had not noticed in the pics what look to be tool marks on the outside of the lower portion of the box and what looks to be breakout around the rim.

Judging is not an easy task no matter which items are chosen someone will always disagree
George had a tough task and I respect his decision

Ok, firstly well done to all the winners.

Secondly well done to blister for keeping your cool and not chucking the towel in yet! I would not be you the organizer... or a judge.... for all the tea in china!

I wasn't gonna put my top 5 as i really just want to do the challenges and feel the satisfaction of taking part..... However....
After the feeling i got when loz put mine as 4th... I was well chuffed, and could have jumped for joy. And the thought that I could make anyone feel like that, then it's worth putting....just in case.

So here goes
1st = Tekno madge
I like the texturing on the box and the colour is awesome, I love it, it's a good contrast between the light wood, and the dark of the colour. Also it looks a very clean transition from the colour to the wood (a very steady hand I suspect!)
The shape... a traditional un complex box but put that with the colour and grain... a winner

2nd = Tpot
I like this one, it reminds me of an apple! The shape is lovely. It looks chunky and dumpy, yet elegant at the same time (well done to the kids in the choice of blank, The crack adds interest to the inside)
It looks very well finished... really smooth and the lid just disappears into the base. (only criticisms would be the knob i think could be a touch smaller in height, and the inside bottom looks to have tool marks?)

3rd = camo
I like the shape of this one, great finish and the lid is seamless to the base which I love. (again only thing is the finial for me a touch too tall) I also love the wood, it's my favorite, but wouldn't judge it on that .

4th = Ratwood
I like the shape of this one, very oriental, well proportioned, good finish

5th = Spasm
The shape is different, but for me it works (reminds me of egyptian urns) walls are nice and thin and finish looks good

I've only been turning for just over a year and by no means know enough to judge 'right' but these are my humble opinions
=D> =D> =D>

I`d have chosen
1. Haldane - beautifully simple shape, well finished, functional.
2. DuncanH - ditto, but second place as it is perhaps not quite so original in design.
3. Melinda - Again, a nice shape, well finished, inside details perhaps not quite so crisp, hence 3rd.
4. Paul J - a pleasing,out of the ordinary shape, well matched grain and neat join.Inside of lid lets it down a bit.
5. Johnny T - striking and original, but some of the important details were hard to see in the photo, ottherwise might well have placed it higher.

Just my opinions. Then again, I could easily have chosen and justified a different five! :)

Ian

fwiw

I would match the 1 2 and 3 of the given judging - 1 takes the basic premise and simply does it well on many levels. 2 looks really well formed and finished on the inside , and I liked the substantial lip/join. 3's well conceived, designed and delivered.

I would still be in the bar 3 days later trying to separate about another 6 into 4th and 5th places - right now it would probably be blister and sliver birch, tomorrow it would be different!

My criteria would be simple - would it work as a box, would I want to either use it as a box, or give it as a present to someone wanting a box.

Not that it really matters but I thought I'd clarify my thinking...

T. Walton":n7jx6c30 said:
4th duncanh nice oyster box would have been in the top 2 but 2 things caught my eye when the box is assembled the curve on the top is not smooth there are two facets and when the box is open the right hand pic there are two steps on the inside, there should only be the one to match the left image.

The 2 steps on the inside was a design decision - when you look down on the top and bottom you see 2 flat surfaces/steps on each one so in my mind they match.

Duncan

Hi all.

Thank you the ten members that put up their choices for the first five positions and their reasons for doing so.
Very interesting out of the ten I don't think there are any two the same which proves that whoever is judging they would never satisfy everyone.
Before I started this I sent a PM to Allan and told him that I would send my bowl to the fourth member that put up a list and that is Kym.
Kym please PM me you address and I will post your bowl.
Thank you all for your responses.

Regards George

I will not sit on the fence on this, just because I was stupid enough to miss the deadline. :oops:

My vote for 5 points would have gone to.......................EVERYONE.

I wouldn't be a Judge, even if you paid me 7p.

Leo

Back