Autumn 16 Challenge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so you have that one in the bank. Is there anything you think could be improved on ?
Are the holes exactly 1.32mm ?

Just joking. Well done.

Grahamshed":2ck0pjs0 said:
Is there anything you think could be improved on ?

Not without the intervention of fire. :-D

I bought a dremel type machine just for this challenge!!

:D

Stiggy":22epf42c said:
I bought a dremel type machine just for this challenge!!

:D
That's at least one major brownie point for the challenge then, no excuses needed for the purchase, a genuine requirement to accomplish the planned piece.

Dalboy":2c6pny5g said:
I am turning some bird houses there is a hole in the front does that count :twisted: :lol: :lol:

It counts a lot if you're a bird. 8)

I intended to enter the current competion but cannot find the time to develop this idea.
It was intended to be a pierced platter titled "Black Hole". Shown here is the proof of concept
model to establish the visual effectiveness of the drilling array/turning contour. It needs a lot work to
get it right and I don't have the time. It is of no value to me now but I thought it may be of interest to
potential entrants who may be stumped for ideas. Its not easy producing something interesting without years of
fret/carving skills. I'm sure there is potential for a winner with just a bench drill and a good eye.

Dissapointing that so few members participate. Competition can really lift your game.
Hope this does not contravene the rules.

Bob

Attachments

• DSC02485.JPG 1024.jpg
    DSC02485.JPG 1024.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 487
Hi Keith
Please have a go. Feel free to introduce whatever changes you fancy. I would have submitted it myself it but it is quite a lengthy process trialling different hole patterns and
surface profiles. I modelled it in CAD before cutting the prototype. I tried many combinations on CAD and concluded a 5-arm array with few more holes looked best.
The holes on the prototype originally ran from 2.5mm to 8mm in 0.5mm steps. You will need a fairly close grained wood as the holes tend to tear across the grain. That was olive I used (wormy reject) which was pretty co-operative. It's a good exercise for tool technique.

Good luck my friend

Bob

Sorry Keith. Just re-read your post. Were you referring to the loss of the challenge competition?

Ignore the above then,

Bob

bobajobob":1xxvh8gl said:
Sorry Keith. Just re-read your post. Were you referring to the loss of the challenge competition?

Ignore the above then,

Bob
Yes I was Bob but the thought of being that good was nice while it lasted. :lol:

Grahamshed

Would you kindly offer your insight regarding the times that entries are due? What I am referring to specifically is the 10 pm due date on the 25th.... are we adhering to your time in Great Britian or my time here in North America? I know it is a small technicality but I have a severe time crunch on my end and want to make sure I have my piece in on time.

Thanks in advance

Bubba

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back