The Results ( June Box challenge )

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
OK entrants

George is on the ball as usual and I have the results and judges comments

1st place and 5 points Tekno madge. ( Judges comment ) By far the best entry , A very nicely proportioned box and the texturing and colouring are perfect.

2nd place and 4 points Haldane. ( Judges comment ) A very pretty and simple box nicely finished.

3rd place and 3 points duncanh ( Judges comment ) I think this is a box that would look absolutely lovely on a ladies dressing table.

4th place and highly commended 1 point Silverbirch. ( Judges comment ) A very nice functional little box

5th place and highly commended Nev ( Judges comment ) A useful box with interesting grain.

All other entrants who entered a item also get 1 point

Many thanks to George our Judge for June =D>

Well done to our winners

Thanks everyone for supporting the challenge

Mod edit: Box Challenge Roundup

I will post the rules and requirements for July's challenge ( A decorated platter, texturing / piercing / carving coloring all allowed ) before the end of the month :mrgreen:

That George - he don't hang around ...

Well done Kym, clearly you really do have the sharpest tools. Thanks for giving the rest of us a head start!

I loved the variety of all the boxes. Some great ideas

Well done Tekno.mage, very nice box and congrats to all that enterd as they were all nice enterys.

spasm

I can add one further general comment that George our judge made and it is as follows

" I picked boxes that looked good and served the purpose for which they were made to contain something.
Some where more orniments than box's. "

And yes well done Kym for the win Looks like us boys have a problem so will have yo " Up the anti " :mrgreen:

Kym a PM is on it way asking for your address so I can send the award to you =D>

Wow! I'm really pleased and also really surprised to have won. After seeing the other entries (especially the complicated ones with tall finials) I didn't think my entry would do very well. I must admit that I go for simple functional shapes in my turning and try to turn and finish them really well. I liked the box I entered, so it's really nice to find that our judge did also :)

Thanks for your congratulations guys.

I am finding this straight line thinking EXTREMELY frustrating. I don't know if George has noticed but his website has the word 'art' in there somewhere. There is more to life than the merely practical, I could say more but I am trying to keep my frustration under control.

Count me out for the rest of the competition.

I really liked Kym's box.

Hi Gordon.
I do not normally discus my decisions or justify them as i don't have to and this will be my only comment..
But on this occasion i will as you are clearly in a sulk and have thrown your toys out of the pram.
I think yours and Loz's were very nice orniments but as i see it if they were on a dressing table they would be easily knocked over.

Regards George

George Foweraker":24vs9r10 said:
Hi Gordon.
I do not normally discus my decisions or justify them as i don't have to and this will be my only comment..
But on this occasion i will as you are clearly in a sulk and have thrown your toys out of the pram.
I think yours and Loz's were very nice orniments but as i see it if they were on a dressing table they would be easily knocked over.

Regards George

You are quite wrong George. I am a new turner. I only expected to get 12 points, none of my pieces have been good enough to win. But there were some pieces of work so clearly outstanding that I couldn't believe you overlooked them. Thats my opinion and I am entitled to state it as you are yours.

Do you really think that your bowls are used by most people? I can guarantee that most are 'ornaments' as you almost so nicely put it. Probably on a table as centrepiece or on a shelf somewhere to be seen not used. What's the difference?

I am old enough not to sulk, I don't have a pram. Don't make assumptions that you are unable to confirm.

By the way everybody, I mean no insult to those that did well this month. I just intended to register my feelings about the judging.

gus3049":38zmd226 said:
I am finding this straight line thinking EXTREMELY frustrating. I don't know if George has noticed but his website has the word 'art' in there somewhere. There is more to life than the merely practical, I could say more but I am trying to keep my frustration under control.

Gordon.

I am disappointed you have adopted this attitude :(

A Judge is a Judge and if we had 10 differed Judges we would no doubt have many different outcomes

George has been kind enough to offer his services free along with Barry and I thank both of them for the time taken in doing the Judging

Everyone interprets a " Box " in a different way as can be seen in this months entry's , Its a shame to see you don't agree with the usable and practical and functional elements that George has used in his Judging

My entry was all of the above and I came joint last :mrgreen: but get 1 more point and the enjoyment of a box project completed

I have also included the saying " The Judges decision is final." in every months challenge in an effort to not end up with a dispute

So how about continuing with the remaining challenges Gordon ? and keep it as light hearted fun as this was my intention all along to promote turning and have a little fun between the UKWorksop members

Allen

O Boy I have just seen your reply to our Judge , so it now looks like I have wasted my time typing this post

Thank you to those that have PM’ed me to comment on my box and about me withdrawing from the competition but as a full time professional turner I thought it was the right thing to do.
I will of course be keeping an eye on the competition and continue to contribute to the forum maybe post some pics including the box on another link for your comments.
We can all learn something from the competition entries including me, I liked Kim’s box it was well proportioned, turned and textured but the most interesting thing to me was the flip pigments I will have to try and get some of those and have a play with them.
Tony

Blister":2hnltknv said:
gus3049":2hnltknv said:

Gordon.

I am disappointed you have adopted this attitude :(

A Judge is a Judge and if we had 10 differed Judges we would no doubt have many different outcomes

George has been kind enough to offer his services free along with Barry and I thank both of them for the time taken in doing the Judging

Everyone interprets a " Box " in a different way as can be seen in this months entry's , Its a shame to see you don't agree with the usable and practical and functional elements that George has used in his Judging

My entry was all of the above and I came joint last :mrgreen: but get 1 more point and the enjoyment of a box project completed

I have also included the saying " The Judges decision is final." in every months challenge in an effort to not end up with a dispute

So how about continuing with the remaining challenges Gordon ? and keep it as light hearted fun as this was my intention all along to promote turning and have a little fun between the UKWorksop members

Allen

O Boy I have just seen your reply to our Judge , so it now looks like I have wasted my time typing this post

Thanks for writing to me Allen, I was about to send you a PM apologising for airing it all in public. But whilst I accept that the judges decision is final and that there is actually no point to what I posted, I just felt strongly enough to do it. The competition will continue quite happily without my participation and in any case, after our conversation, it seems unlike that George will look too happily on anything I might offer :D

OK Gordon

Thanks for your reply

BUT PLEASE continue in the challenge as any Judge will Judge the work piece not the person who enters the work

After all that's what the woodturning 2011 challenge is all about , doing the best you can turning wise and trying to interpret the requirements and achieving your goal

Next months challenge is a DECORATED PLATTER 8)

So come on Gordon stay with us :mrgreen:

George Foweraker":1mc6swwa said:
I think yours and Loz's were very nice ornaments but as i see it if they were on a dressing table they would be easily knocked over.

Regards George

Thanks George - :D

Now the rest of you - calm down - its a friendly competition, and as much as an argumentative sod George is, i cant see him holding grudges - ( I Feel ) your comment (Gordon) about him judging you unfairly is out of order... Please don't withdraw, we are all gaining from this !!!

Thanks Blister for organizing again this month.

Well done on the top 4 - Fab Pieces. ( however Tony blew me away, as did Johnny )

Loz

Firstly, congratulations to the worthy winners. I found the range of work submitted inspirational.

Second, I think Gordon's post did serve a purpose - it highlighted the frustration that can happen when any individual (competitor or not) doesn't immediately see things the way the judge, or panel, did. I think the egg cups results were, for me, in a similar vein.

Finally, I applaud George (and the egg cup judge!) for being prepared to explain their assessments as well as the honest critique. Whilst this may convert confusion into frustration such reference points clarify the picture as a whole for everybody, and are a vital part of the learning process. Whether I agree or disagree doesn't matter - at least I can rationalise, understand and learn.

Well done Kym

Hi Gordon.
As Loz said I do not bear grudges it is not in my nature.
With this months comp the way i judged it was to look at the pics that Chas had kindly put up and looked and looked at them without looking to see who had done them.
As you would see from my comment in put your entry's here I did not look at any of the entry's posted until 10 30 Pm on the 27Th.
Being a judge is not as easy as you might think as whatever i choose will never be everybody's choice.
If there was only three entry's you can bet your life I would get them in the wrong order for some members.
I suggest you carry on with the comp Gordon as it is all a bit of fun and not to be taken too seriously and I can assure you if yours is the best entry next time I judge it will be the winner.

Regards George

I won! :D
unfortunately not the comp, :cry:
but from this months entries i thought that Kym's was the winner, or at least was my favourite of the entries. simple and perfectly decorated.
(my judging criteria was...which box would i like sat on my bedside table?)
of course, like most things, its just a matter of personal taste and not a criticism of the other entries, some great looking pieces and some great ideas, and i can only hope of producing work as fine in the future. :)

again, like the egg cup challenge, i am shocked that my box gets a mention, i would've put many (if not most) of the others way ahead of mine in terms of skill, design, amount of work involved and desirability.

WOW! handbags at 10 paces! just read the posts that appeared in the time between me starting this post and previewing it.
who'd be a judge eh? i was recently invited to visit an art gallery/ museum, not my usual thing, but thought I'd give it a go. in this place (http://www.kmm.nl/) were works by the likes of Van Gogh, Matisse, Picasso, etc.
how would you choose which was 'the best'? which one got 5 points?
using my ' which would i like' criteria, of all the works there, there was only one i would want hanging on my wall, and it was by no-one I'd heard of, I guess I must be a philistine :)

So, thanks to George and Barry for taking on the responsibility, i dont envy you.

Gordon, I also agree with your comments and see where you're coming from, but as above, how do you choose??
you should stay in the comp (after all, you'd have to win the next one to prove there was no bias :mrgreen: )
or maybe you could volunteer as a judge :?: :?:

blister. maybe we could have a 'peoples choice' added to the points category? (next year?)

anyway, congrats to Kym, and well done to all.

:deer

Well done all.

I have mixed opinions. One I do wish that the "judging factors" would be published before hand as im sure many of us would have done something different. This would have been the second time where I would have done something different if I knew what the judge will be judging on. However Gordon you could from now on change the way you think. Me im going to start thinking more down the practicability line than design.

However while I see the skill involved in some of the entries I agree with the judge as when I first saw some of the entries I thought there more like goblets with lids and would get knocked over. Saying that If I was the judge it would of been 1 or 2 of these in my top 5.

Gordon you say your not sulking but I comes across quite strongly that you are doing just that. Don't drop out just try to think like the judge.

T.Walton. You withdrawing with the reason you stated did offend me. It came across as you think your to good for this comp and would win hands down if you entered. This comp has pro's entering and the prize isn't of a large cash sum. I apologise if this wasn't your attention but just because your a pro, does not mean you would have any advantage over other pros here. Many of the winners are hobbyist leaving the pro's for dust :lol: . Unless of cause your are an award winning turner for design.

Hudson Carpentry":3jl01t2k said:
Gordon you say your not sulking but I comes across quite strongly that you are doing just that. Don't drop out just try to think like the judge.

T.Walton. You withdrawing with the reason you stated did offend me. It came across as you think your to good for this comp and would win hands down if you entered. This comp has pro's entering and the prize isn't of a large cash sum. I apologise if this wasn't your attention but just because your a pro, does not mean you would have any advantage over other pros here. Many of the winners are hobbyist leaving the pro's for dust :lol: . Unless of cause your are an award winning turner for design.

Sorry but it ain't true. I just support your point about knowing what we are to be judged on. I restate that I am a beginner who didn't expect anything but one point a month. If I decide to continue, it will be with how I interpret Allen's rules as stated. I can't think in a way that is just designed to achieve a particular result. I am trying to find a style of my own (if thats possible) They get judged as they are.

I don't think Tony meant this in the way it came over. I thought the technical achievement of his bowl had only one equal this month and I would expect him to be in the top few every entry. There were 'artistic' things about it that didn't set right with me but that is quite normal. We really do have different tastes but that is not what this er..... 'discussion' is all about.

I think he is right but maybe didn't put it too well.

Back