The rest distance

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caretaker

Established Member
Reaction score
Happy Easter every one,
I have read that the distance from the wood to the rest will be about 1/4 of an inch when starting but what distance do you work up to the end of turning.
I am using chisels about 12 inches long, and take a good grip, but how big a gap do you work up to before moving the rest in?

Hi Reg,

I tend to keep it about 1/8" at the beginning and keep readjusting it at say 1/4", certainly no more than 1/2".

Depends what you are doing really, size/speed/hardness of timber etc, size of tool.......

If using a small diameter spindle gouge for example you need minimum overhang to avoid flexing/vibration, but if using a bigger tool it's less important.

Also need to be conscious of the leverage effect the rotating timber exerts on the end of the tool. If there is a big gap between the end of the tool and the toolrest then exerts more pressure on the handle end of the tool and can become tiring to resist, so again moving the rest in a bit closer helps reduce the effect.

Don't forget to always rotate the timber by hand to check it clears the toolrest all the way round before switching on !

Cheers, Paul. :D

Mornin' Reg.

Follow Paul's advice and you won't go far wrong.

The few seconds it takes to adjust the rest is nothing in the great scheme of things, so keep it as close as possible for the tool you are using.

Good luck!

I keep the rest as close as possible constantly moving it between cuts I try never to let the gap between work and rest exceed 1/2". can be difficult as shape develops.

I think most of what I thought on reading your question has already been said - keep close to the piece and be ready to adjust the rest regularly as necessary.

If you don't keep the rest up fairly close what tends to happen is that your angle of address approaches the horizontal (I exaggerate slightly but if you play with an exaggerated example - with the lathe stationary!!! -I'm sure you'll see what I mean). The longer the reach becomes, then the more you 'flatten' the chisel. This is most pronounced when you're spindle turning.

And I'm equally sure that you've already found out what happens then?! Correct!! Breath-taking, nay, prize-winning dig-ins!!

One other thought - again I suspect you've already discovered it, but putting these thoughts in words can often help clarify understanding? You refer to a 'good grip'. Remember that the 'grip' is a variable.
The trick is to get the right 'grip' for each cut and/or tool (I am very much still practising I hasten to add!!), and indeed for the wood being shaped. Firm but not rigid - rigid will usually mean you force the cut. It'll also mean that you become tensed up - that way lies finger hand and shoulder cramps - no pleasure there!

I was a bit concerned about dig ins, I have not experienced one yet and not looking forward to it.
I am still practising on spindle turning and feel relaxed when doing it, it is a bit like doing pottery on a potters wheel.
My two daughters visited to day and my youngest is a natural for it, she loved having a go but the eldest needed marigold gloves.
:lol:

Caretaker wrote
My two daughters visited to day and my youngest is a natural for it, she loved having a go but the eldest needed marigold gloves.
Reg.
Never ever wear rubber gloves on things that rotate at speed.It is the worst thing to wear.In fact never ever wear gloves of any kind when using machinery.
If your daughter had have touched the piece while turning while the lathe was running, the rubber would have dragged her hand in no trouble.
Seen it happen once to a polisher,not a pretty sight. :!: :!: :!:
Be careful.
Paul.J.

Reg.
I thought you may have been joking,but thought it best to point out to other newbies about the dangers of wearing gloves.
Glad your daughters enjoyed it.
Paul.J.

caretaker":1q680znu said:
I was a bit concerned about dig ins, I have not experienced one yet and not looking forward to it.

Have a go with a skew chisel and get your first catch out of the way - you know it makes sense! :D :D :D

Regards

Gary

Back