The Passing of a Legend- Ron Fox

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Sefton

Wood Workers Workshop
UKW Supporter
UKW Sponsor
Reaction score
Threshing Barn, Upton-upon-Severn, Worcs WR8 0SN
I am very sorry to break the news of the loss of one of woodworking's biggest and long standing characters.
I have received a phone call from Ron Fox's daughter with the sad news that Ron passed away a couple of days ago. Ron went into hospital for a triple heart bypass at the age of 83 a couple of months ago which went well but complications ensued and an infection took hold. Ron will be sadly missed by all that met him and the thousands of woodworkers who have enjoyed his router videos and numerous published articles over the years.
If you have any thoughts, tips or memories of Ron I am sure those new to routing would love to hear of them.
Peter

Oh thats so sad to hear - a true great in every sense. My thoughts are with his family.

I still remember seeing Ron in the TV series "John's Workshop" with John Revell.
His workshop was so amazingly small (he used to open the window if he needed to work on long timber) yet he managed to produce some brilliant videos which are still on YouTube. Hopefully Wealden's will keep Ron's Tips going as a tribute.

Glynne

Very sad news. Was only looking at his stuf on wealdon last week. Condolences to his family.

Mark

Very sad. Have seen most of his instructive vids, he was Mr Jig, wasn't he?
Came across as a lovely fella. Condolences to the family.

Carole

Never one to make a simple task complicated. The last of the great router pioneers. I sincerely hope his output will not be lost.
My condolences to his family.

Such sad news, I'm sure Ron's enthusiasm and passion will continue to inspire people for many years to come. Thank you for letting us know Peter.

Glynne":s4wkw5gg said:
I still remember seeing Ron in the TV series "John's Workshop" with John Revell.
His workshop was so amazingly small (he used to open the window if he needed to work on long timber) yet he managed to produce some brilliant videos which are still on YouTube. Hopefully Wealden's will keep Ron's Tips going as a tribute.

Glynne

I remember that episode (I have the series recorded), it gave me a laugh - in a good way - didn't realise he had a youtube series; which I've now found and BM'd. I'm sure his skills and tips will continue to teach and inspire.

Ah that's a real shame.
I have seen some of his videos on YouTube and thought that he had a very personable friendly manner.
He will be missed I am sure..........but not forgotten!

I am gutted to hear this news. :cry: He helped set me off on the road to routers many years ago. He will be sadly missed but his legend will live on in his writings and videos and I am sure still set many a novice wood worker on the road to the classic skills of routing.

That's a real shame. I have a number of his DVDs on routing. He was everyone's Dad. I saw that workshop episode of Revell too and it reminded me of my own fathers tiny workshop. Didn't stop him innovating dozens of really useful approaches though did it.

RIP Ron and thank you for all those wonderful articles. My sincere condolences go to his family.

My favourite tip was how to get rid of burn marks, by making the identical cut in reverse.

Thank you Ron,
Neil

Sad news indeed - condolences to his family. I was lucky enough to have a session with him in his very little workshop about 10 years ago when I was first getting interested in woodworking. He was extremely knowledgeable and an excellent teacher.

Very sad. He came across as a nice guy who obviously enjoyed his woodwork. Like many I remember him from the 'John's Workshop' shows. I recommended his videos only earlier this week in another thread. Deepest condolences to family and friends.

Fabulous guy. Learnt how to handle a router over a couple of his courses. Never ever seemed like being taught. A real gentleman with a wicked sense of humour, and always enthusiastic about his craft. Always ready with help over the phone when I got stuck or wasn't sure. Bet there will be loads of jigs in heaven now. A good man. RIP Ron

Latest posts

Back