The Naming of Parts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smudger

Established Member
Reaction score
Leaving aside that Little Unpleasantness, the question raised was an interesting one. And, of course, there are other parts of planes which have rather esoteric names.

Some parts (sole, mouth, cheeks, toe) are easy to follow, but where do we think that frog and tote came from? And is the sharpy bit a blade, a cutter or what?

Just a thought.

Smudger":svs4psdx said:
Leaving aside that Little Unpleasantness, the question raised was an interesting one. And, of course, there are other parts of planes which have rather esoteric names.

Some parts (sole, mouth, cheeks, toe) are easy to follow, but where do we think that frog and tote came from? And is the sharpy bit a blade, a cutter or what?
Ah, well, IMHO (do I have humble opinions?) the cutty thing is called an 'iron', or a 'cutting iron' not a blade. The thingy bolted to it is called a 'cap iron' or a 'back iron' (and definitely not a chipbreaker :shock: ), and the two irons bolted together are called the 'double iron'.

Oh, and I like to call the Y-lever the 'yoke'. :D

Cheers, Vann

Cutting irons were originally made by forge welding a small piece of high carbon steel onto the end of a piece of iron, such was the expense/rarity of steel.
Tote is a verb, meaning to carry. So a plane tote is a fairly obvious one. Most of the terms used were chosen by the modest craftsmen making the tools - as the years pass language changes, but I believe you'll find most terms were fairly obvious at the time.

Hope this helps,
Philly :D

Did I miss something here see that a post deleted relating to naming of frog - assume it became a little unpleasant?

Tony

I think the Frog has a deeper source than expected, probably deriving from an anglessizing(sp?) of German or French.

The tapered connecting piece of at the junction of rail points is also known as a Frog as is he similar connection at the joint of a String Instrument Bow which pre dates the rail use.

I have a feeling that one of the Lie Nielsen Videos on YouTube talks about the anatomy of the plane an why bits are called what they are. I might be wrong and am not prepared to watch them all to check!

Ironballs":1ktqg9kn said:
Chris or the mythical one from Spaceballs?
I think he means this one - looks a little frog like to me :D
456r7ht7vg0.jpg

Jeff Gorman":1ktqg9kn said:
If you look at the side view of a frog from a Bailey pattern of plane, you might think it resembles the side view of a frog - the jumping type.
I think this makes the most sense for the name.

Cheers :D
Tony

Latest posts

Back