The language is mutating (and always has done)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gents
Yes, our language is, indeed changing, whether it is changing or mutating does, I suppose, depending to a great degree, on your outlook.
I don't like the way it is becoming Americanised.

However . . . I feel I should point out that the 'English' we use today, is hardly a pure 'language' anyway, it's more of a Heinz 57.
Based in Latin, with French, German, Fleming, Danish, Swedish and Norwegian all thrown in for good measure, means English is a mish mash at best.

e.g. At a meal, in The Netherlands that I was hosting, there were 16 people and 10 nationalities, one being a young, very French, French lad.
I said, " As we say in England; bon appetit."
The French lad said; 'It's French."
"No" I said " It's English we stole it."

The great thing is that our language continues to grow and change with time.
It means our language is alive and well.

The French have rules and laws protecting their language . . .it is stagnant and will surely become a minority language, much like Esperanto.

Better slurred and/or spelled badly, than not said at all. No reason to believe it's more prevalent today.
We want to hear what people want to say and there's plenty of smart alecs around to assist by pointing out their spelling mistakes!
In fact social media could be revolutionary. Normal media since the invention of printing has been top down and still is. People read particular newspapers or watch particular TV progs, but there is little dialogue going back up, being returned, other than a few letters to the ed.
Results in an odd fact - it's quite likely that the person next to you picks up a completely different view of the world and is unlikely to be exchanging views with you or his neighbours unless they agree with him.
But social media is "horizontal" and we are all chattering along side by side. Somehow completing a triangle - up, down, and now also across. Talking directly to some of the great unwoke!
Politically it forms a massive countervailing force to news controlled regimes and e.g. is probably playing a big part in current Russian developments. The days of the hidden radio receiver in a forest are long gone - almost everybody has a mobile phone and internet access.
A bit of bad grammar and poor spelling is an indication that more people are discovering how to communicate, and should be welcomed!

In fact social media could be revolutionary. Normal media since the invention of printing has been top down and still is. People read particular newspapers or watch particular TV progs, but there is little dialogue going back up, being returned, other than a few letters to the ed.
Results in an odd fact - it's quite likely that the person next to you picks up a completely different view of the world and is unlikely to be exchanging views with you or his neighbours unless they agree with him.
But social media is "horizontal" and we are all chattering along side by side. Somehow completing a triangle - up, down, and now also across. Talking directly to some of the great unwoke!
Politically it forms a massive countervailing force to news controlled regimes and e.g. is probably playing a big part in current Russian developments. The days of the hidden radio receiver in a forest are long gone - almost everybody has a mobile phone and internet access.
A bit of bad grammar and poor spelling is an indication that more people are discovering how to communicate, and should be welcomed!

it's not that different to the big media companies actually, facebook and zuckerberg regularly shadowban users and block messages or limit what can be seen, it all goes on in the background though, organic growth via social media is currently completely dead, you have to pay money to get any exposure, they control everything and are responsible for the rise in right wing governments, they can't be held accountable by any government and are currently above the law, the entire social media experiment is a big mess.

it's not that different to the big media companies actually, facebook and zuckerberg regularly shadowban users and block messages or limit what can be seen, it all goes on in the background though, organic growth via social media is currently completely dead, you have to pay money to get any exposure, they control everything and are responsible for the rise in right wing governments, they can't be held accountable by any government and are currently above the law, the entire social media experiment is a big mess.
Big mess yes but so is main stream media - you only have to think of the Daily Mail; 100+ years of lies, malevolence, misanthropy, xenophobia!
But the big plus with social media is that you can't set up a system which makes money out of people communicating unless you allow them to communicate.

Back