The Hemingway workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't usually give things names, but there is a clear reason for this one, and I've come to like it.
I had decided I had a justifiable need for a new bench. It was going to be quite a change from my current (now sold) one which was an 8 foot very heavy beast with big double-screw face and Maguire wagon, sliding deadman etc.

The outline brief was: 6' long; 20" deep (roughly), 34" high; solid but knock-down (industrial grade flat-pack).
I wanted it as simple as possible - except that I will have 2 vices. I know truly simple would be no vices, but I can work fast and efficiently with 2, and that is what I am used to.
Vices are Record 52s (the 7") - a bit about why and so on to follow.

Whilst fairly compact, it will need to be chunky and quite heavy. But I did a rough sum on the top and it should be around 60Kg with vices... .
This could be a low-cost bench. I got the vices off eBay and paid top price on one of them so mine were about £80 for the two.
European steamed beech, I got 9+ cubic ft but really need about 7. I pay £30+vat a cube so allowing for odds and ends etc, a little over £300 could have done it and those vices can be got for a good bit less with some patience.

Top is 75mm (will flatten to around 72), legs are 4" sq. Leg assemblies are made complete with front-to-back stretchers with a registration tenon at top of front legs only (back of top free to move).

Here's a few pics of w.i.p.
Top glue-up. Done in 2 halves first as the open time is not enough to sort all 8 boards.
hb1.jpg

Components for the leg assemblies, with endcap for tail vice at front, and a stretcher at bach
hb2.jpg

Wedges ready for leg assemblies. Legs are in 2 halves so tenons are one half deep, then wedged, then leg laminates assembled (so a cheat foxed tenon)
hb3.jpg

Cutting the tapered mortice for the wedged stretchers.
hb4.jpg

I make a master wedge which is used to test every mortice - they all have to be identical. The final wedges are shallower so they exit further (half and half). Also the mortice is deeper have clearance inside the leg
hb5.jpg

A loose-assembled test with the reference wedge. Final wedges might be fumed oak, could be maple. Not sure yet.
hb6.jpg

I'll keep it quick and simple. But I do fuss over the details, I want it to be a really nice thing. The influence not only helps decide overall spec, but goes a long way to inform the design details.

It's called the Hemingway after a line in The Old Man and the Sea: 'He was too simple to wonder when he had attained humility. But he knew he had attained it and he knew it was not disgraceful...'

More pics and a finished bench soon.

Attachments

• hb1.jpg
    hb1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 404
  • hb2.jpg
    hb2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 404
  • hb3.jpg
    hb3.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 404
  • hb4.jpg
    hb4.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 404
  • hb5.jpg
    hb5.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 404
  • hb6.jpg
    hb6.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 404
I shall watch this with great interest. I missed your other bench by a whisker and kicked myself! It is very evident that you know what you are doing. Adrian

Ok, I forgive you for selling your previous bench and will watch the rest with interest and envy.

I like the name, but I thought it was going to be because Hemingway had more than one vice... :)

Beautiful precision work, as ever.

"Leg assemblies are made complete with front-to-back stretchers ..."
The way I read that is that the end frames are glued up. If this is the case, would it not be better to glue up the front and back? There's more stress and need for rigidity end to end than front to back.

Thanks all for your interest!
Very good Andy, :lol: I expect he would have been happy to admit to just two.
Re stiffness Phil, agreed from an engineering p.o.v. - but I want the front legs flush and don't want tenons and wedges sticking forward - but I was set on using the wedged stretchers as I prefer them to various bolts. I made a number of work tables a while ago using these stretchers and was very happy indeed with stiffness, also I had a go on Richard Arnold's knock-down bench a couple of times, same assembly (wedged stretchers) and that is a great little bench. I think it will be Ok and will soon find out.

Workie day today, but 2 more pics:

Coffee Mr Hemingway?
(had a bit of a spill)
coffee-.jpg

Underside of top - wood on wood
bt1.jpg

More soon.

Attachments

• coffee-.jpg
    coffee-.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 289
  • bt1.jpg
    bt1.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 289
CEMjQRn.jpg

Just started cutting my new bench up. Ooooh. Thats alriggght. Well done me! That's the vice rebate cut. Next step the glue up!
Come on UKW.
Douglas is making a new bench.
Ahhh.
I'll sit down quietly in the corner then....

Looking forward to updates! :D

Sorry Bm, I didn't want to throw you off-pace or anything. That looks very substantial - can't be sure if it's a top or maybe a really hefty leg vice?

Now then, the Hemingway... more or less done. Pics and a few thoughts along the way: usual disclaimer - opinions only, in the main :)

Machines were very involved in the making, but a point comes where the hand tools can really take over.
My 6tpi Disston to saw the ends square. That saw was last doctored by Richard T, goes lovely.
h3-1.jpg

Reminding myself (twice) why I will never, ever make a bench that does not have flush front. Mounted vertically to plane the ends - LN 62 about to get used for what it was really meant for
h3-3.jpg

h3-2.jpg

Holdfasts are a great way of shifting a heavy top around single-handed
h3-4.jpg

Here in front of the much bigger ash beast - it's about half the weight but good and stiff - the wedged stretchers are so very solid
h3-6.jpg

Just need to clean and finish vices etc. It was quick and simple to make and I think it should be good to work at once I get used to it.

Something about steamed beech - this lot was actually the best I have ever had (I'm getting through quite a bit at the moment). Very well milled (consistent) and the first real test - rip to width on the bandsaw, the kerf holds with just a hint of closing and every piece stays straight. 56mm milled thickness gave an easy 51 - 52mm finished. The crowned boards (11 - 14" wide) once cut gave quartered (or very close to) faces for the top and everything else. Colour is very consistent. Wonderful stuff, if only it was always like that. I don't know where the true quartered boards go, because several times now I have looked through 6 or 8 cubic metres and not one quartered board. I will ask when I am next over there, I even called Sykes and he went and checked through his stock - same thing.

So, the top looks really nice, needs more oil and then finish. First I put BLO thinned about 1:1 with spirit, and apply liberally like Brut (splash it on all over, eh 'enry?). Probably finish with Osmo Top Oil or Chestnut hard wax oil (I reckon they are the same thing).

h3-5.jpg

The vices look quite small after the massive d-screw on the big bench - but I do think the 7" Records are absolute gems. I find the 9" too heavy, slow and clunky (personal taste), but I got a 52D for end position, with the rising stop. I replace that with a leather faced block and will use it a lot.

I remembered (half way through) why I like making benches. They are about the only thing I get to make for me.

I'll update once it is put to work.

Attachments

• h3-1.jpg
    h3-1.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 196
  • h3-3.jpg
    h3-3.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 196
  • h3-2.jpg
    h3-2.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 196
  • h3-4.jpg
    h3-4.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 196
  • h3-6.jpg
    h3-6.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 196
  • h3-5.jpg
    h3-5.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 196
very nice, Douglas, although that comes as no surprise having seen pictures of the other things that you have made.

What was the justifiable reason for a new bench, or is it a secret?

Hi Mark - we are planning a house move early next year and whilst I expect to have good outside space I may well have to make do with compromise workspace for a while until a decent shop is 'acquired'. Also I do think a bench I can take apart and hence move would be handy. The other reason is a serious and growing desire to simplify - fewer tools around me, smaller simpler bench. The spirit of the Hemingway quote was how I felt about it all :)

condeesteso":105camvo said:
So, the top looks really nice, needs more oil and then finish. First I put BLO thinned about 1:1 with spirit, and apply liberally like Brut (splash it on all over, eh 'enry?). Probably finish with Osmo Top Oil or Chestnut hard wax oil (I reckon they are the same thing).

So - how slippery are you aiming for? :D :lol:

BugBear

Indeed Eric, I have known tea be used so why not. Anyway it seems fine now - i think the oils overcame the coffee.
Re slippy BB - not very. I reckon I want a lazy finish - fast and easy but tough in use. I've tried all sorts and not sure there is one best one. I have the Chestnut on the big ash bench and I gave it a light cut with 0000 wool. But also, I've forgotten why it's supposed to matter.

That's a fine-looking bench, Douglas. About the only addition I can think that might be worthwhile is a simple shelf across the bottom stretchers.

Another thought is that the design would work very acceptably in softwood, too. Something like unsorted redwood, or even 4x2 PAR for someone with no machining facilities; though in that case it may be wise to make the knock-down wedges from a hardwood.

Pleased you get into the spirit of this bench Cheshire! - i reckon it would be just as good in pre-prepped softwoods, an easy build.
Agreed re shelf - 'tis planned... and that will be softwood. Also 2 cantilever sticks screwed to underside of top to support a long tray at the back, that's where I put the tools and stuff I use a lot. I'd like to mention (again) that those wedged stretchers really are so stiff. If using softwood make them deeper though (say 100mm+). Need to knock up a few bits now - a new shooting board as old one shot :)

Back