The Experiment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I have managed to complete a experimental bowl with hopefully has the bubble look.

I believe it is maple and the inner bowl shows some quilting pattern. I have been wanting to get down to playing with different colouring techniques and this is one of them.

The bowl is 7" X 2"

C & C welcome

I think this is a really nice piece of decoration and you should be 'well chuffed' with yourself for the outcome achieved. The internal bowl is also turned and finished well and looks the part.

If I were to offer one thought for the next one, it would be to consider / refine the outside profile. The profile you have selected for this looks quite heavy and utilitarian and does not complement either the level of decoration or the finish achieved in the internal bowl. I'd be tempted to turn an ogee profile which had a lightness to it and whilst the piece would end up being mainly decorative as a result, would really set all the work you've put into the decoration off a treat.

Hope this helps (even if it doesn't it's only my 2c anyway!)

BRgds

Simon

I really like thick bowls, and I really love the decoration on that one.

SVB":3dejzbl9 said:
If I were to offer one thought for the next one, it would be to consider / refine the outside profile. The profile you have selected for this looks quite heavy and utilitarian and does not complement either the level of decoration or the finish achieved in the internal bowl. I'd be tempted to turn an ogee profile which had a lightness to it and whilst the piece would end up being mainly decorative as a result, would really set all the work you've put into the decoration off a treat.

Hope this helps (even if it doesn't it's only my 2c anyway!)

BRgds

Simon

I would agree the ogee profile would have certainly lighten the look. I will leave this as it is for now. I am going to play with the design a little more and try some iridescent colours sometime

Good attempt at mastering the water bubble technique Derek, not so sure about the heavy bowl but that's down to personal preferences and no critique on the turning.

Do I see some orange peel effect stemming from the acrylic lacquer? I know KimG gets this when using acrylics, any chance you can get the coating robust enough to stand the KimG coloured subject buffing regime? I think it would add depth to the 3D effect of the bubbles which I suspect the surface finish is diffusing.

CHJ":59ladwdg said:
Good attempt at mastering the water bubble technique Derek, not so sure about the heavy bowl but that's down to personal preferences and no critique on the turning.

Do I see some orange peel effect stemming from the acrylic lacquer? I know KimG gets this when using acrylics, any chance you can get the coating robust enough to stand the KimG coloured subject buffing regime? I think it would add depth to the 3D effect of the bubbles which I suspect the surface finish is diffusing.

As Simon said maybe an Ogee on the outside would have made the bowl look lighter. The varnish coat has only been on for a few hours so did not want to put the buffing system to it yet. Also the photo are a load of rubbish will have to try harder (now that statement rings a bell :lol: )
I have examined the piece and no orange peel

Understand on the Acrylic curing, it can be several days and associated shrinkage takes on a new dimension some times.

It was this highlight that I as looking at that triggered the OP remark I could not make my mind up if it was OP or jpg compression artefacts.

op.jpg

Attachments

• op.jpg
    op.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 1,313
CHJ":1koduhl0 said:
Understand on the Acrylic curing, it can be several days and associated shrinkage takes on a new dimension some times.

It was this highlight that I as looking at that triggered the OP remark I could not make my mind up if it was OP or jpg compression artefacts.

I will have a look tomorrow in better light

I really like the solid simple slightly hefty look of the outside shape. I want to pick the bowl up and enjoy the weight of it and whenever I want to pick a piece of turning up I feel that on some rather important level it's succeeded :)

Looks great, I think the weighty look compliments the design. How did you do the bubbles? Very effective....

Does work, cool =D>

Wonder if there are too many bubbles though, looks a little bit unnatural from the way they are spaced IMO

CHJ":2u7tfq4d said:

Have had a look and it appears as though there was not an even coat of varnish now sorted out. Well spotted Chas

As the Red Indian chief used to say in the films - How?

Fascinating. Any chance of a W.I.P ? :)

Robbo3":3en2d07i said:
As the Red Indian chief used to say in the films - How?

Fascinating. Any chance of a W.I.P ? :)

See if you understand this

A quick how to

The rim is sanded to 600grit and then a sander sealer is applied this helps stop bleeding of the stain, blue stain is applied to this. Once every thing is dry I took an eye dropper and dropped spots of water of different sizes and in a random pattern.
I used car automotive paint in the rattle cans one white and the other black.
Starting with the white and at a very low angle just slightly above horizontal I sprayed a very fine mist over the whole rim, changing to the black and rotating the bowl 180deg and repeat the same process as the white.

DO NOT tilt the bowl at any stage and also don’t get too close when spraying the black and white paint otherwise the bubbles will move.

This now need to be left until the water has dried fully and another DO NOT touch anything as you still can smear the paint even though it is dry. Give it two or three light coats of varnish again from a spray can I found Acrylic gloss spray was great, this has now sealed every thing in.

Return the blank to clean up the outer edge from any over spray and turn the inner bowl.

Back