The bending lid

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowfax

Established Member
Reaction score
I have recently finished a kitchen bin for SWMBO in white oak. It was just a copy of the previous bin which was made from some kind of softwood.
The lid is a square of oak about 250mm by 255mm consisting of two pieces edge jointed together. The thickness is about 17mm and it just drops into place - no hinges. Finish is danish oil.
It seems that the lid wants to curl slightly. No problem because I can just take off the handle and put it on the other side but after about a week the lid flattens out and then starts to bow in the opposite direction.
I have thought of a couple of cures.
One would be to remake the lid out of four pieces in a quadrant format. This might prevent the movement - or it might pull itself apart!
Another would be to glue a second smaller square under the lid with the grain running at right angles to it.
I hoped to make a complete new lid but I am running out of timber. I have enough for another square but not for two at the moment. Gluing the second square is not likely to succeed with the oil finish.
My third option is to keep on moving the handle from face to face.
Any ideas, folks?

SF

SF
Sounds like the problem is the moisture from the bin?? The inner face is damper than the outer and bends. You then reverse the timber and it repeats the behavior.
What about applying a more durable finish to the lid? That might sort it?
Of course - apply the finish to both sides! :lol: :wink:
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Philly,
I'm sure you're right. I suppose I could slap some poly onto the lid and see what happens. I should have thought of this before I copied the old one!
Come to think of it that was bent too! It's still sitting on my bench - flat as you like, now!
Just wondered if a new double strength lid would fix it.
Cheers.

SF

Back