That' it... I think I'm finally qualified!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might have a few photo's kicking around however most of it was things like hanging doors and putting up stud work... if only it was cabinet making! :lol:

Thanks, I believe the final grade was a pass with a merit, unfortunately I didn't quite get the distinction I was looking for but then again I guess all of those extra cups of tea didn't help :lol:

I guess the big question is what I should do now, I've started pottering around doing the odd door hanging here and there but so far have yet to charge for anything and simply done it for the confidence boost.

PS. Dodge, those chisels are still going strong.

I've worked for a national timber merchant for nearly 10 years but I don't have an apprenticeship carpenter and therefore couldn't sit an NVQ. A City & Guilds was my only other options so this is the route I took, the course lasts 3 years and you are required to do a lot of workshop based evidence since you can't produce evidence from your workplace.

Once all of the workshop based tasks have been completed there are a number of job knowledge questions, I think there were six of these exams on things like roofing, stud construction, sash restoration, reading of plans, etc. During the final year there is an end of year exam and a practical assessment which they allow students 18 hours to complete. The end of year practical assessment consists of the construction of a stud partition, which you then fit a lining to, hang a door, fit a mortice lock and architrave around the lining. You are also required to put a basic pitched roof on it and fit a fascia board. When all of this is done you finally have to clad a section of the stud work and wait for the examiner to come a long with a hammer and damage the architrave just to make you splice and repair it. If everything is "within industry standard" you pass.

Hmm! you are at a quite a basic stage, however this should not stand in your way. Whilst gaining a C&G is an accolade in your journey, the next step would have to be gaining experience, I hope you agree. You could do well by gaining your experience at the hands of country contractor and workshop...good luck whatever you do...bosshogg

You could do well by gaining your experience at the hands of country contractor and workshop.

That would be nice especially if I could work at the weekend as I don't really want to give up the full-time yet since the wages pay the bills. I wouldn't mind working for free though during the weekends to gain experience after all you only get out what you put in.

The_Stig":yhy5uv7w said:
I've worked for a national timber merchant for nearly 10 years but I don't have an apprenticeship carpenter and therefore couldn't sit an NVQ. A City & Guilds was my only other options so this is the route I took, the course lasts 3 years and you are required to do a lot of workshop based evidence since you can't produce evidence from your workplace.

Well done in getting your C & G

To be honest you have probably done the better course, a friend of mine runs a small joinery firm and was really angry about the way the NVQ works as he now concentrates on one thing.

The problem he had was finding the jobs to allow his apprentice to complete the course, he only managed because he was doing work on his own house and got the apprentice to make the bits he needed.

This business of making the apprentice do the job at work means it is cheaper for the colleges to run the the courses, I think all apprentices should sit a proper C & G including written exams as well as learning in their work place.

There is a joiner who gets me to make things for him, who managed to do an NVQ later in life while working for a firm and the amount of basic things he does not know is shocking.

As others have said it is now a case of getting experience, ring around the one man bands and see if you can get some weekend or evening work, preferably with someone who has a workshop and does a bit of site work as well.

You mentioned cabinetmaking, ring the small furniture makers as well, they may be willing to help you, as you will find a lot more of what you have learnt is more relevent than you think.

My C & G qualifications are in furniture making but I still make some joinery and there will be people on here who have joinery qualifications who make very nice furniture.

I am sure there are some very good joiners with NVQ's out there but my experience leads me to thing the actual qualification is lacking some what.

At the end of the day you can have all the bits of paper going and still not be able to do the job, it is experience that really counts.

Good Luck

Tom

The_Stig":ph0aorrk said:
You could do well by gaining your experience at the hands of country contractor and workshop.

That would be nice especially if I could work at the weekend as I don't really want to give up the full-time yet since the wages pay the bills. I wouldn't mind working for free though during the weekends to gain experience after all you only get out what you put in.

With this attitude you will go far in life, one other avenue could be an historical estate of some description, where it would be possible to get a great variety of hands on experience. Again good luck, though I don't think you'll need it...bosshogg :)
Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions. A.E. (hammer)

Bravo! Any plans to do level 3?

There has been some interesting discussion on NVQ & C&G qualifications. The main thing now though is experience and you seem to be thinking on the right lines. Good luck with it.

As someone once said to me, there were no technical colleges in the days of Chippendale.

Having said that I think that qualifications are a useful and indeed necessary step too. Experience is great, but not easy to pick and choose what experience you can acquire.

Back