That Chinese Plane Factory...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugbear

Established Member
Reaction score
I know that there's a factory in China supply a lot of wholesale and retail tool outlets around the world,

Some googling reveals they are or have been sold under the following brand names:

• Quangsheng (Workshop Heaven)
  • Qiangsheng (Rutlands)
  • Grant (Tilgear)
  • Woodriver (Woodcraft USA)
  • Juuma (Dieter Schmid)
  • Dictum Eigenmerk (just "Dick" now , I think)
  • Peaktool (Baptist, Holland)

Can anyone add to that list?

A more interesting question; we know that the QA spec of the factory can be and is dictated by the vendor. These
planes are NOT all the same.

Workshop Heaven have been spoken of highly in this regard,

So; does anyone know how the various outlets vary in terms of quality, features and cost (*)

BugBear

(*) divide one into the other and you might get "value", but it's by no means certain.

I think this is the factory/firm's own website:

http://www.qstools.com/index.asp

Their long name is "Cixi City Qiangsheng Tools Co., Ltd" and they use the "Luban" brand name. Note it's "Qiangsheng" with an "i" as the second letter and not "u". I don't know how Workshop Heaven came up with "Quangsheng", I think someone made a mistake somewhere along the line

I would guess the "Luban" branded tools would be same quality regardless of seller. And would I be right to say that none of the planes themselves have "Qiangsheng" or "Quangsheng" on them?

I've got a qiangsheng rebating block plane, which I've been very pleased with.

My Dad has a Dictum block plane which seems to have a slightly nicer finish on the cap iron although its steel rather than cast brass/bronze so it doesn't tarnish.

Neither of them have the name qiangsheng on them

I went to Dictums shop in Munich and looked at a few of their planes and was pretty impressed at the quality/value for money. Especially comparing them side by side with the Lie-Nielsen/Verits/Stanley planes. It seems that what we would pay in pounds they would pay in euros so depending on tax/postage could be good value for money.

At the time i was looking for a low angle jack and the dictum one had a finger recess in the cap iron so it could be used single handed for shooting which the other qiangsheng planes don't seem to have. This almost makes it more similar to the Veritas LA Jack plane than the Lie-Nielsen.

They also use a cast steel instead of cast iron which should make them pretty hard to break. I assume that's the same with all of them.

Wonder if they sell to the general public would be a good way to get some nice planes :D

JohnPW":1rlecesl said:
I think this is the factory/firm's own website:

http://www.qstools.com/index.asp

Their long name is "Cixi City Qiangsheng Tools Co., Ltd" and they use the "Luban" brand name. Note it's "Qiangsheng" with an "i" as the second letter and not "u". I don't know how Workshop Heaven came up with "Quangsheng", I think someone made a mistake somewhere along the line

Ooh - nice find.

Transcription from Chinese is not an exact process, so variation is normal.

I would guess the "Luban" branded tools would be same quality regardless of seller. And would I be right to say that none of the planes themselves have "Qiangsheng" or "Quangsheng" on them?

Looking round the website, I find that not everything is a Veritas/Lie Neilson copy.

http://www.qstools.com/Productsd.asp?ID=417

20121220133312259.jpg

Despite the name, I very much doubt it's made of copper. Bronze, probably.

BugBear

interesting website, Qiangsheng.

They also do a slow speed wet grinder, shame no prices.
Would be good to buy direct instead of giving the European middle men a cut.

In reply to BB's original post:

I bought the standard pattern block plane from Rutlands, who were about a tenner cheaper than WH, and have been delighted with it. Rutlands now appear to have no stock of these block planes.

I purchesed the No62 jack plane from WH, equally delighted. As of today WH are loads cheaper on the 62 than Rutlands, even if you add on the additional two irons with alternative bevel angles. PLUS WH are giving away a free marking gauge thrown in.

This may explain why Rutlands still have stock of the 62!

Anyway, just from my experience, no difference in quality from my (albeit tiny) sampling of the two offerings.

I would add that the 62 came covered in protective gunk, (as mentioned in a separate post in the hand tools section), whereas the block plane did not.

HTH,

Andrew

Very interesting thread. I've been trying to work out how to buy the Woodriver No1 (Stanley repro). For some reason, they don't sell this particular tool outside the US. Qiangsheng do one in bronze but I would much prefer the steel plane. Does anyone else do a steel repro No 1 ??

Flartybarty":3nr76iep said:
Very interesting thread. I've been trying to work out how to buy the Woodriver No1 (Stanley repro). For some reason, they don't sell this particular tool outside the US. Qiangsheng do one in bronze but I would much prefer the steel plane. Does anyone else do a steel repro No 1 ??

I have them in stock if your interested, I have been the UK/EU Woodcraft dealer for the past four years or more.

Cheers

Peter

Latest posts

Back