Low angle vs Standard angle block planes.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dissolve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have used both low and standard angle block planes on various projects throughout my woodworking education. I like both for their typical applications; Low angle for end grain, standard for general planing of small components/chamfering etc.

It's now time to invest in something worthwhile, so I've been looking at Lie Nielsen/Veritas/Quangsheng offerings and if I can afford it when the time comes, I'd like to go for the Lie Nielsen.

My thoughts relate to whichever brand I chose to buy.. Could a Low angle block plane with two irons, one ground at 25 for low angle work and one ground at something like 40 degrees replace the need for two types of block plane?

I know changing the irons could be considered an extra faff, but as I can only really look to buy one at the moment I am not as concerned with this. I can see that Workshop Heaven offer the Quangsheng low angle block plane with 3 irons of varying angles so I assume that it's really down to the effective cutting angle that will make a difference in it's performance as a low or standard angle tool?

Has anyone have specifically good/bad experience using a low angle block in situations where a standard would be considered ideal?

I have a Veritas LA block plane with 25 & 38 degree blades. I did buy a handle and front knob for use on difficult grain but I haven't needed to use this so far. Probably one of my favourite tools so I would certainly have this in your short list.

I've had a Lie-Nielsen block low-angle plane since the late 1990s, and as you'd expect, it'a a very fine plane - super fit and finish, and does a top-notch job. My only slight criticism is that being thick in the casting, it's heavy - rather too heavy for comfortable single-handed use for any length of time. Mine has the original O1 steel iron which does all I expect of a small plane iron; I can't offer any comment on the current A2 irons.

Before I had the LN, I (very unprofessionally) used one of the first vintage tools I ever bought, a Preston bullnose plane, for many block-plane duties. It's a nice fit to the hand, and a comfortable weight for single-handed use, and to be honest I still tend to use it in preference to the LN. I don't advocate that as good practice, it's just a working quirk I developed out of necessity more than anything else; works for me, wouldn't necessarily work for the next person.

Were I starting again, I think I might be tempted to find a couple of vintage block planes; a standard angle and a low angle. Stanley, Record or other - whatever came up first. The downside is that you may have to do a bit of fettling, but the upside is that you'd have two small planes that you could comfortably use single-handed, and you'd still have cash left over compared to one of the current high-end planes. If budget were less a constraint, I'd maybe have both a vintage lightweight and a premium plane, and have the best of all worlds!

Bung a thicker blade in an old record if you have one. It might surprise you. These fancy expensive planes will not make you a better woodworker

I have the ln102 which I really like but I would try one before you buy- I could see them being a bit small for some people. Top quality though.

Your right there Lurker. I had very little money for tools when I was eighteen but still managed to turn out some very impressive jobs.
Now I have a workshop full of the best of tools but often lack the motivation to do work. :roll:
Enthusiasm is worth more than any tool (hammer)

If you have or can get an old stanley or record and put in a replacement blade they are greatly improved. I would also consider a new stanley sweatheart. I bought one 2 years ago it is very good but heavy. Also it needs a bit of work that a LN does not to make it user friendly.

We sell quite a few low angle blocks and I'm not aware of many people adding the standard version afterwards. The standard angle version tends to be more popular with luthiers, for whom a block plane that can also cover a lot of small scraping plane jobs hits the spot better than the low angle version.

To add to your decision making woes, this little fella will be out on December 1st:

Note: The photo is of a prototype 103, the planes we get in December will be 102's.

Back