Tesco fiasco

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
As promised I said I would let you all know how things went at Tesco over the weekend. I have never attended anything quite like this in the past. It was all in aid of a local children's charity, a worthy cause. It cost £10 each day, which was very reasonable. Many of my fellow stall holders from my normal craft fairs were there and next to me was my good friend Derek the wood turner. There must have been 20 stalls in all but only a few of us had hand made items, all the others had bought in what they sold. I was fortunate that I was the nearest to the main entrance under the large canopy. By the end of Saturday I was well pleased having taken well over £200.

At mid afternoon a nasty incident took place in which I was involved. At the very end of the of the store and on a section of road that had been cordoned off was a guy with a van and so called children's entertainer who happened to be a sandwich short of a picnic. The back of the van was filled with audio equipment and outside he had a couple of very large speakers on tripods. As he got into his act entertaining kids the music was not to bad, tolerable if you like but as time went on it got louder and louder and in the end none of us could hear our customers talking, we had to shout and this guy was at least 50-60 metres from me, everyone was complaining and I thoiught maybe the manager would have a word but nothing happened. In the end I went down and had words, all the guy kept saying to me was, "do you want to twist and shout," After about a minute of me trying to reason with him he started to square up for a fight and before I knew what was happening four guys pounced on him and dragged him away. He continued to threaten me but it was all hot air.

Like Saturday I arrived at 8am on the Sunday and got set up and was hoping for another good day but it was not to be, the weather was just brilliant but we did not have the number of people coming and going as we did on the Saturday. I took some money so it was not a wasted effort. Miss Wales hosted the event and when she came over for a chat I asked her if the music man would be turning up. she said about mid-day. He turned up at one and someone had obviously had words with him besides myself as the noise was a lot less. I decided to call it a day anyway as it was clear I was not going to do much more business. That evening I had a phone call from Derek who told me that half an hour after I had left the equipment in the music mans van blew up with smoke and sparks going everywhere and then peace reigned for the rest of the day.

Chippygeoff":2w7bjyey said:
That evening I had a phone call from Derek who told me that half an hour after I had left the equipment in the music mans van blew up with smoke and sparks going everywhere and then peace reigned for the rest of the day.
See, there is a God.

I'm a hobby woodworker so I don't sell at craft fairs, I do like to attend fairs though, as you say the vast majority of stuff on sale is 'bought in' which is sad, I want to see peoples handy work, I wonder, is because of prices?, unfortunately too many people think prices are expensive, this is simply because they have no idea of the actual costs involved in making timber products.

A neighbour of ours commented on a planter I made, and asked if I would make him one, I told him it would be £35 (that included a large polythene bag to place the soil in) he was actually shocked, his reply was, "I can get one from the garden centre for that price", strangely he still doesn't have a planter at his front door! he does have a new jag on the drive, parked next to his wifes newish VW estate.

Baldhead

What does he do for a living? Ask him if he'll come round and do a day's shift for £35!

I've been round a few local 'craft' fairs and noticed that every other stall seems to be selling generic kit-made greetings cards or bits of wood with holes in them for tea lights. Not craft at all.

Great to hear you had a good saturday
Im a massive believer in karma
He sounds like he deserved it

Geoff.

Pleased to see that you had a reasonable weekend, apart from the (music man ?).

But you did have the last laugh, just a shame you were not there to see it, you could have given him a clap, the d**k head. (hammer)

Take care.

Chris R.

Latest posts

Back