Teensy chisel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JohnPW":9asygj9u said:
The narrowest manufactured chisel I've got is 2.2mm, I think. I've got quite a few at 3mm and 3.5mm.

My narrowest are ones I made myself, 1.5mm from ground flat stock and 1mm from a jigsaw blade.

And I do use them, eg for making thumb planes, mortices for linings on a violin.

I have now bought what I presume is a 1/16 Mawhood chisel, actual width 1.8mm, cost £1!

Here'a pic of the narrow chisels I made.

In front is the 1.2 mm made from a jigsaw blade, behind is made from 1.6mm ground flat stock. Both handles have caps and are made from 2 halves glued togeter.

Attachments

• narrow chisels.JPG
    narrow chisels.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 876
You need to taper the handles so that the bottom is as close as you can get it to the face of the chisel and the other 3 sides taper down to near zero at the blade. i.e. in general, depending on what you want to do with them of course

I started reading this thread thinking 'who on earth would need a 3mm chisel' and generally snorting and huffing to myself about 'tool junkies' etc etc.

Now I need a 3mm chisel.

Really. I do.

So if any of you fantastic collectors of small and weeny chisels want to sell me one...... :roll:

Back