Teen woodworker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't place his accent. It doesn't sound local to me tho. If he is, I'd be happy to give him some tips. Both on turning and woodworking. It looks like he's a big fan of the American woodworking scene and hasn't found us yet. I'll send him a message...

Quite honestly, if he ever got a decent, sharp gouge in his hands rather than that lump of metal on the end of a stick I reckon he'd be extremely promising.

Chris.

Yes I agree, he's doing well and has obviously learned something from somewhere. Perhaps his father or another family member. He just needs some helpful tips. He's not wearing any safety gear at all and in one of the videos he's coughing his guts up. The other thing is that in none of the videos are his tools sharp. He either doesn't know how to sharpen, doesn't have a grinder or is scared of it (or all three).

Yes , :shock:

Looks like he is using a European spindle gouge with a very shallow flute

Would help if it had a cutting edge on it , looks like he is wearing the wood away

Noted the eye protection , but no extraction ?

Also gloves when turning :? bit of a NO NO

As you say he does have promise if taken under someones wing

And the bees wax and oil makes me think he has seen the Eli Avisera DVDs

just watched it now scary very scary where are his parents, accident waiting to happen, he needs to learn some skills

:shock:

I hope he visit this forum so we can sort him out!! Having said that it reminds me of myself at his age, but I did only have a Black and Decker drill lathe!

Hey Guys, it is the teenwoodworker here.
I was actaully looking for my youtube page but i stumbled upon this page.
Thanks you guys for all your concern, i have since the origional comment was posted taken a lesson and hopfully it is noticable that my technique is better, i also have new chisels which i keep sharp and now i am a lot safer. My old chisels were awful. ( note the new videos are sped up for the sake of watching) i urge you to watch my latest turning videos.
Thanks again guys and i would also like to say a thank you who see my potential, the woodworking comunity truley is the most supportive groupp of people which i have ever seen.
Alex Harris.

Hi Alex,

Great to see someone your age with so much enthusiasm and ability. And your responses to some of the critical comments on youtube show great maturity too.
You're lucky to have your own shed, wish I'd had one!

Hope to see you posting more on here, show us your work and you will find a wealth of knowledge and experience to help you improve too.

Glad to see you've got some decent chisels now, makes all the difference but you got by with the old ones and you've go to start somewhere.

Keep up the good work, you are an inspiration =D>

regards

Welcome aboard and well done.

Must say though I think you need a new band saw blade ASAP ;-)
this looks a bit like you have to put too much pressure on the piece.

Have a word with Ian at tuffsaws.com

Keep up the good work ;-)

Dave

Jonzjob":15726v5j said:
So contrary to popular belief some bark is worse than a bite Pete/ :-" :-" :tool:
Beat me to it John, I was going to say "bark in logs does bite"
p.s. I'm STILL in mainframes! :(

Latest posts

Back