teak or afromosia?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_H

Established Member
Reaction score
I had a stack of timber which i needed to move to clear space in the workshop- some quite big boards and after I had it checked by someone in the hardwood business who confirmed it was teak, I sold it to someone who was going to use it on a boat he was building. He later contacted me and said he had had it checked and it wasn't teak but Afromosia. He had been told it was a third of the value of teak and obviously he wanted a refund. I agreed to this straight away as I honestly thought I was selling teak. Anyone know anything about Afromosia or pricing. And as he's bringing it back, what can i use it for?

Do you have any left as lots of people say they know woods but do some times make mistakes as you have seen.
Try to post a pic before you do any thing, I am not saying that it is not Afromosia but I have seen an auction house mix up walnut for mahogany which can look very similar if the colour is close.
Sorry I cant help you with the price :)

Rob
From "100 Woods, P Bishop":
Afromosia: [Part of the summary] This is an excellent timber that has often been called African Teak because of its perceived similarities. It can easily be substituted for teak when a cheaper material is required, and can be used for both int and ext joinery because of its good durab and stability.

If you want me to scan the whole two pages please PM me.

Cheers

Gidon

Afromosia2.jpg

afrimosia1.jpg

Thanks for your advice so far everyone.

Latest posts

Back