Taylor Guitars "The State of Ebony" (Bob Taylor Video)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's interesting that they describe it as a tonewood and yet the focus seems to be fingerboards. I am mainly an electric player these days, but have (too) many guitars ranging through flamenco, classical, steel string acoustic and lots of electrics. Although fingerboard material has a major impact on looks and feel, I have never felt that fingerboard material has a discernible impact on tone. Of the high end older guitars the fingerboards are typically ebony, rosewood or maple (especially Fenders). I am convinced it is mainly aesthetic. From the late 1980s / early 1990s substitutes for rosewood and ebony became quite common and the premium finish instruments (custom shop or whatever) were the only ones with expensive woods.

However, on a steel string acoustic it is very easy to tell the difference in tone between a guitar with say a rosewood back and sides, versus a maple back and sides. I also think that laminated tops are usually a give away when you start playing them.

Latest posts

Back