tattoo prejudice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surely this cannot be prejudice as getting a tattoo is a life style choice. By choosing to get a visible tattoo you are agreeing to allow people to judge you. After all that is what body art is for. It's an expression of ones personality.

Mick

I've no really strong feelings on this, except I think tattoo parlours should probably be equipped with breathalysers, spell checkers and cooling-off periods (e.g. live with a temporary transfer tattoo for 14 days and then come back for the inking).

I don't like the look of some tattoos, but I'm not quite self-absorbed enough to think that all of those tattoos were done for my pleasure or offence.

Like them or not, it's good to have an articulated policy, and it looks like the increasing prevalence of tattooing may be setting the agenda.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... ruits.html
Army looking at relaxing rules on tattoos on new recruits
Changes proposed to policy on recruitment of people with facial, neck and hand tattoos as Army struggles to hire the thousands of reservists needed to replace regular servicemen and women

Soldiers could be allowed tattoos on their faces, neck and hands in a bid by the Army to enlist more recruits in the wake of savage defence cuts.
The move to relax rules on where soldiers can display tattoos has been proposed by Capita, the private company which now runs army recruitment, which is facing problems trying to hire thousands of reservists to replace regular servicemen and women.
The Army is slimming down from 102,000 regulars to 82,000 as part of cost cutting but still has to recruit thousands of young soldiers a year to make up for turnover.
A plan to offset some of the regular cuts by boosting the number of reservists from 19,000 to 30,000 has been hit by set backs which last week prompted the National Audit Office, which monitors Whitehall spending, to publish a scathing report.
Currently, there are strict rules on tattoos, which mean that body art must not be visible if a soldier is wearing a long sleeve shirt.

http://www.army.mod.uk/join/30274.aspx
Army - Can I join the Army with a tattoo?
If your tattoo is offensive, obscene or racist it will prevent you from joining the Army. Small tattoos that aren't offensive in any way are not normally a problem, depending where they are on your body and how visible they are. If you have a tattoo, the best thing is to go to your nearest Army Careers Centre and ask them to check if it's okay.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/can-i-joi ... t-join-if/
RAF Tattoos and bead implantation
The RAF policy on tattoos prohibits personnel from joining the service if they have tattoos or brands that are deemed obscene or offensive (eg racist, anti-religion or belief, crude, overtly sexist, homophobic, drug-related or of an extreme political nature).
In addition, RAF Personnel are not permitted to have any tattoos that are above the neck collar, on the hands, wrists or on the ankles so that they are visible in Service uniform.
Similarly, bead implantation that is deemed obscene or offensive or is visible in Service uniform is not permitted.
Whether a tattoo or bead implantation is deemed obscene or offensive will be determined on a case-by-case basis according to extant policy and seeking legal advice where appropriate.
Please be aware that during the recruiting process, a record of the location of tattoos/bead implantation will be requested.

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers/how ... -piercings
Royal Navy Tatoos & Piercings
Most tattoos or piercings are not a problem when it comes to joining the Royal Navy. But if tattoos are offensive, obscene or excessive in size or number you won’t be allowed in – or back in to the Royal Navy.

If your tattoos are visible in parade uniform they won’t be acceptable. This means any tattoos on your head, neck and hands. When you apply to join you’ll need to fill in a form describing your tattoos and their locations and show them to us during you medical examination.
http://www.metpolicecareers.co.uk/eligi ... ments.html
Metropolitan Police Tattoos
As a candidate for employment with the Metropolitan Police Service you should present a professional image, and be sensitive to the impression you will make on members of the public.
Anyone who has a tattoo which could be construed as offensive to any religion or belief, or is in any way discriminatory, violent or intimidating, will not be accepted to join the MPS. This is irrespective of wherever the tattoo appears on your body.
Tattoos on the face, visible above a collar line or on the hands are not acceptable for any role within the MPS.
All other tattoos MUST be covered. E.g. If you have a tattoo on your forearm, you must wear a long sleeved shirt at all times when on duty/ or at work.
As part of the application process you will be required to supply a photograph/s of any tattoo/s you have and a decision will be made as to whether the tattoo/s complies with our dress code. If the tattoo/s is considered unacceptable then your application will be rejected.

I have quite a few tattoos (tops of my arms, legs, chest and back) and its never created me a problem! Admittedly mine can be covered if I want them covered (the one on my right arm is just above the elbow so does just show in a short sleeved shirt), I do agree with the facial, neck and hand tattoos to an extent but it would not stop me employing someone if they were good at their job, its just my choice not to have them. As to getting board of them, I don't even see mine any more they are just there.
Just on a side note I did have 16mm tunnels in both ears, they have been removed for 3 years now and have NOT completely healed (they are about 6mm now), again they have never created me an issue with employment or customers (I work in a car dealership and am customer facing).

In summary I have no problem with tattoos or body piercing BUT one word of advice make sure you can cover it up or reverse it as YOU may grow to hate it.

Matt

Tramp Stamp or Slag Tag .

I really can't see the fascination with Tattoos ..........When I was young most of my mates got them just to be different ,I can remember them saying "Get one to be Different" they all had the same thing " black Panther" on the right fore arm , how different were they ?

A few of the younger guys I chat to at our local have the whole of one arm covered in black tattooing. They wear short sleeved shirts most of the time so no attempt to hide them. There must be a psychological reason for it - wanting to be noticed? Personally I don't like to see it and I can understand why some employers are prejudiced.

John

I think tattoos have skipped a generation old and young people seem to have them, so it might be that the kids of this tattooed generation will look at there parents and decide not to have any.

Pete

If you went to a 'bash' and stood talking to a group of like minded individuals only to be told later that ' some ' of them had tattoos would that lower your opinion of the person you were quite happy to chat to earlier, I have 3 tattoos and hope no one thinks I am a ' slag' '( chance would a fine thing)...

I think a tattoo is a waste of time, money and effort. So when I see someone who has a tatto I think they made a bad choice, could have bought some tools instead!

But, tattoos are hardly unique in this regard, there's lots of things I think people waste their money on.

When i had my shops there is no way i would employ someone covered in tattoos that would scare people away ore would i employ a girl that was ugly or a man that used offensive language, however if they were out of sight it would be a different thing.

wizard":hxbzv2kp said:
When i had my shops there is no way i would employ someone covered in tattoos that would scare people away ore would i employ a girl that was ugly or a man that used offensive language, however if they were out of sight it would be a different thing.

Is that a joke? It's a bad one. Or, it's quite possibly the worst statement I've ever read on here.

doorframe":2znj8nu7 said:
wizard":2znj8nu7 said:

Is that a joke? It's a bad one. Or, it's quite possibly the worst statement I've ever read on here.

Doorframe

You are nieve if you think companies don't employ front of house staff for their looks. Why is it that we all know these things exist but if someone actually says it they are bad people. I actually think your statement is the worse I have read on here.
Mick

Latest posts

Back