Tankard Finish advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PsyMan

Established Member
Reaction score
I was just perusing this months (October) edition of woodturning and much to my delight Micheal O'Donnel's section on drinking vessels came up, I have been toying with the idea of attempting a tankard that can hold a good English pint of ale for a while now and this has inspired me to actually try it.

First thoughts were, "Where am I going to find something big enough 140mm x 140mm x 140mm approximately that will be stable enough to attempt it" the very same evening at the pub, a friend popped next door where he lives and returned with a lump of what he claims to be 150 year old Oak from a reclaimed church or chapel gatepost with one of those "I saw this and thought of you" moments see pic below:

oaklump.jpg

My questions are:

1. Would Oak be OK for a drinking vessel of tankard proportions? (seems its ok for a Scottish Quaich so I can't see why not)
2. Given that it/they will probably be used fairly regularly with real ale (no lager of course), what sort of finish would be best for the internal part?

Many thanks

The hard wax oil certainly seems to be up to the job..

This is a wooden pot that I made about 12 years back. The pewter pot is a Selangor pewter jobbie that was presented to me when I left Singapore after my 2 1/2 year posting there. I was asked if I could make one in metal and I said no but I could probably do one in wood. Maple and mahogany. It's finished with Rustins Plastic Coat, but hard wax oil was not available then, or at least I didn't know of it..

1johnspotd.jpg

The wall is parallel and about 3/32 thick. A barstuard to do, but really came out well. The bloke nearly didn't get it!

This is a 2/3rds replica. A christening pot for my eldest grandson

Jacobschristningpot.jpg

P.S. Forgot to give any dimentions. The full size is 7 1/2" X 2 3/4". That's high by wide :mrgreen:

Jonzjob":23nh8mog said:
The hard wax oil certainly seems to be up to the job..

This is a wooden pot that I made about 12 years back. The pewter pot is a Selangor pewter jobbie that was presented to me when I left Singapore after my 2 1/2 year posting there. I was asked if I could make one in metal and I said no but I could probably do one in wood. Maple and mahogany. It's finished with Rustins Plastic Coat, but hard wax oil was not available then, or at least I didn't know of it..

The wall is parallel and about 3/32 thick. A barstuard to do, but really came out well. The bloke nearly didn't get it!

This is a 2/3rds replica. A christening pot for my eldest grandson

P.S. Forgot to give any dimentions. The full size is 7 1/2" X 2 3/4". That's high by wide :mrgreen:

Jon,
They are beautiful and elegant - Can I ask - How did you attach the handle? Glued / screwed? and did you cut a square-end to receive the handle, or shape the handle to fit the circle of the tankard?
Thanks,
Greg

Thank you Greg..

The hadles were shaped to the radius and epoxied on. The wood is too thin to tenon or screw them on. As long as they are treated properly there shouldn't be any problems.

The small pot is the second one. My son was the manager of The Old Fleece, Woodchester for several years and they had a big fire in his flat over the pub and the oroginal was lost. Good practice I suppose, but not a good reason.

John,
Thanks for that.
My 8 and 10 year old and I have just got a lathe and today was our first foray into the skew, so it may be a while before we are ready to attempt a tankard - though good to have a goal!
Greg

really nice pieces John, I remember seeing them before now. Off to get some supplies from the big orange DIY shop for the garden so I will see if they have any hard wax oil in the flooring section, might be cheaper than buying a small one. Cheers for the advice :D

I have an oak tankard. My favourite real ale vessel.

When I bought it from the maker I asked about the finish and was told it is yacht varnish.

It is still completely sound and waterproof about five years later. I've used it hundreds of time. I don't leave the beer in there too long (not to preserve the tankard but because I drink very efficiently ;) ).

They seemed to have every oil and wax EXCEPT hard wax oil, not to worry I still bought 500ml of BLO they had on the shelf for cheap plus a bag of lawn seed so all was not a failure, another finish to add to my shelf. Fleabay it is then.

I am setting myself a challenge, seed a new area of lawn and then learn to use the skew chisel proficiently, my goal is to learn the skew before I need to start the mower :D

Latest posts

Back